Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
diagnostic code P1456 ???

hey guys, theres a check engine light in my car and autozone says its code P1456....anybody know what this might mean? thanks.
corpuszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

oh, some dude told me this....can someone certify and CLARIFY to this noob...(me)...? hehe, thanks. i really dont know much about what he's talking about but sounds like he knows what he's talking about....thanks for any clarifications...

P1456 (90) EVAP leak - fuel tank system

That's the code you get if you leave the gas cap loose. Check that first.

It really means that your gas tank isn't airtight (like it's supposed to be). It could be a crack in the filler pipe, a loose hose or even a blown gasket at the fuel gauge sender.

If you find a loose gas cap, reset the ECU & see if the CEL comes back. If you don't reset, it'll take a few days before the ECU realizes that it's fixed.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpuszero
hey guys, theres a check engine light in my car and autozone says its code P1456....anybody know what this might mean? thanks.
leak in your EVAP system, try tighting the gas cap and see if it goes away. Honda gas cap o-rings/gaskets blow... no pun intended.

EDIT
The official definition for P1456 code:
"EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Fuel Tank System)"
1998 NM SH-179k miles-Mar05 -> Aug11
Clear turns/markers :: JDM fogs :: SP Sport Maxx's :: Spoon FSTB :: LuK Pro Gold Clutch :: CF sparkplug cover :: 99-01 Grille
1998 SMR 5MT-265k miles-Aug05 -> Nov05
Koni Yellows/Neuspeed Sports :: smoked markers :: Momo CF/Leather shiftknob :: GS-D3's

Last edited by Kap TypeSH; 06-05-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Kap TypeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

are o-rings and oil seals...the same thing?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

Quote:
oh, some dude told me this....can someone certify and CLARIFY to this noob...(me)...? hehe, thanks. i really dont know much about what he's talking about but sounds like he knows what he's talking about....thanks for any clarifications...

P1456 (90) EVAP leak - fuel tank system

That's the code you get if you leave the gas cap loose. Check that first.

It really means that your gas tank isn't airtight (like it's supposed to be). It could be a crack in the filler pipe, a loose hose or even a blown gasket at the fuel gauge sender.

If you find a loose gas cap, reset the ECU & see if the CEL comes back. If you don't reset, it'll take a few days before the ECU realizes that it's fixed.
Evaporative emissions, is basically unburned fuel evaporating into the air and is pollution. Unburned HydroCarbons or UHC are very bad for the environment, and automakers even have to do painstaking things to make sure all the fuel that goes into the engine is burned sufficiently, hence emission equipment like exhaust gas recirculation. So you can see why gas just evaporating into thin air out of the tank is bad for biz.

Ok, enough of that.

Now, your car periodically does a vacuum check on the fuel system. If it detects it's not air tight, well then there'a problem, and hence it throws a code. Now, the gas cap is the most common culprit, since it comes on and off so much. Once you 'fix' the problem, you have to reset the ECU to clear the code or just wait for the ECU to run a systems check on the evap system which could be days later, so you just gotta be patient.
Clear turns/markers :: JDM fogs :: SP Sport Maxx's :: Spoon FSTB :: LuK Pro Gold Clutch :: CF sparkplug cover :: 99-01 Grille
Koni Yellows/Neuspeed Sports :: smoked markers :: Momo CF/Leather shiftknob :: GS-D3's
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

Quote:
are o-rings and oil seals...the same thing?
well, not really. o-ring could be anywhere, and oil seals can be o-rings or something else. An o-ring is just what it sounds like a round 'ring' an 'o' made of rubber used to seal something. Some oil seals are o-rings, some might be gaskets.

In other words, a 'seal' is a more general term.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

oh, for the other part of what the guy said is that, it's an EVAP code, so it could be a leak in the system anywhere, like the other areas he mentioned, but check the gas cap first since it's the most common to go wrong, easiest to fix and least costly. If it's not that, you won't really know until you reset the ECU [can just clear the code with a scan tool or disconnect the battery] or wait for the ECU to do another systems check, but again, you have to be patient, and give it a few days. If after a few days, the CEL still hasn't gone out, it might be something else.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

oh....well here's the deal.

about a month ago, Honda told me that the check engine light is on because of something to do with my O-Rings....loose or broken or something.

2 weeks later, my oil seals bust and oil spills all over the street....

last week, had the mechanic shop fix my "oil seals" and says everythings cool.

and now...that code comes up and here i am....screwed?

thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

you're not screwed, just a matter of find out what the problem is... the plot thickens... maybe your rear main seal gave way? where did it leak from?

anyway, oil could have gotten on something else and corroded a line or something, that's just pure speculation on my part...

it could even be unrelated, you know? who knows man... I say, just try the gas cap first, remember always start with the easiest/least expensive fixes first and work your way up. Consider getting a brand new gas cap as well, can't be more than 10 bucks or so.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

by gas cap...you mean...the thing you open up before you fill up the tank right? lol...i really dont know...thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
2001 SS SSM Prelude

oh yeah...i noticed that on my gas cap (my 2nd one, lost first), it says "if you dont turn 3 clicks, CEL might turn on). there are times wehre i turn it only 2 clicks. I"ve just turned it tighter now and will reset the ECU in just a minute. how will i know if the gas cap is air tight or not? thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Type SH'in...

Quote:
oh yeah...i noticed that on my gas cap (my 2nd one, lost first), it says "if you dont turn 3 clicks, CEL might turn on). there are times wehre i turn it only 2 clicks. I"ve just turned it tighter now and will reset the ECU in just a minute. how will i know if the gas cap is air tight or not? thanks.
That's the problem, you won't know. If tighting it fixes the problem your gas cap is fine. If it doesn't, your gas cap could be bad, or it could be some other problem. Try tightening it first and go from there. Also, before you do that, take it off and inspect it, maybe it might be something obvious like the o-ring is dried out, but if it looks fine, then tighten it and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion