Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crankshaft pulley wobble

Hey guys i just noticed today that my crankshaft pulley wobbles when idling. However the pulley stops wobbling when the engine is revved. First question, the harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley are the same thing right? Also would this mean i have a bent crankshaft? While the idea of getting a new engine with less miles is lovely, i do not have the money. I hope this is just an easy cheep fix.
MountianLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do not, repeat DO NOT, drive the car with a loose crank pulley. If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.

Bluetop H23a Vtec Swapped NHBP '99 Base
indylude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My crankshaft pulley wobbles as well, I tried a new crank pulley and nothing changed. I was told you can have the crank built up and ground back down or by a new crank. I have read that quite a few people have had this problem. It is supposedly caused from over-tightening the crank pulley bolt. I have run my car for over 15,000 with it like that and who knows how long it was run by the PO like that.

Make sure your bolt is tight though like indy said.

1997 Prelude
2007 Pilot EX-L
importrcr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

to importrcr00, does your loose pulley make a good amount of noise. We discovered the loose pulley while trying to figure out why my engine is so noisy, also does it cause your belt to chirp after it has been sitting off for awhile. My dad who used to be a mechanic says he thinks the pulley is just bent.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indylude18 View Post
Do not, repeat DO NOT, drive the car with a loose crank pulley. If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.
Thanks for your input but it seems to only be bent not loose, i am pretty sure it has been this way for a while.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

As someone who's suffered a loose bolt (that resulted in damaging the crankshaft snout but somehow manager to avoid losing the t-belt) I recommend you at least re-torque the bolt to proper spec. As I already stated, the danger is real and you could damage the crankshaft (which will most certainly require removing it from the block) and/or damage to the head due to slipped t-belt as well.

For me I didn't realize the crank pulley was loose until the damage was done. But for about a day before I clued in I heard a loud tapping sound which increased with RPMs. It was the crank pulley slapping against the timing belt cover. Eventually it fell off, but luckily the key didn't come out with it.
Glaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Picking up a new crank pulley tomorrow. I also seem to hear a tapping but this will go away after about 2500 rpm, also could this be causing my belt to chirp after the car has sat for awhile and started.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

We both stated that our bolts are tight. Like I said a new pulley did nothing for me, but let us know what happens.

1997 Prelude
2007 Pilot EX-L
importrcr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

i have the same issue . took it to dealers , they changed the belt ,pulley , and it didnt work , but the mechanic advised hes tightened the bolts and put new ones and it shouldnt cause any major concerns.

i am not very mechanical , so in a short version the harmonic balancer is wobbly or something ... and the cost to fix it all up = ridiculous .

u are not the only one so dont stress and just tighten tht thing up

cheers
adilude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

I plan on putting the new pulley on tomorrow. I will let you guys know what comes of it, hoping for the best this will fix both the sound my engine makes and the chirping belts.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
There's only one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by indylude18 View Post
If it comes off, it will take your timing belt with it, then you can say good-bye to your engine.
the timing belt and the belts on the crankshaft pulley are on separate pullies.
TruNinja619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

^Technically, yes. In reality though, since they are held onto the crankshaft by the same bolt, if that bolt comes loose or breaks then the crank pulley, balancer belt drive pulley, and timing belt drive pulley can all fall off.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

The crankshaft pulley pretty much acts like a giant washer between the timing belt pulley and the crank bolt to hold everything else in. Least thats how I see it
Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

I always thought the timing belt pulley was behind the timing belt cover and you'd need to remove the cover to remove the tbelt pulley. I do know that along the crankshaft snout there is a key that is used to keep all the pulleys in time. That key broke when my crank bolt came loose, and that can cause tbelt problems. Lucky for me the key broke close to the outside edge so my tbelt and balancer pulleys stayed in time even though my crank pulley fell off.
Glaucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
I always thought the timing belt pulley was behind the timing belt cover and you'd need to remove the cover to remove the tbelt pulley. I do know that along the crankshaft snout there is a key that is used to keep all the pulleys in time. That key broke when my crank bolt came loose, and that can cause tbelt problems. Lucky for me the key broke close to the outside edge so my tbelt and balancer pulleys stayed in time even though my crank pulley fell off.
ouch that sux, but yeah the lower timing belt cover SHOULD in theory hold the pulley in place, however there is the possibility of the tbelt cover breaking/coming off then you'll have problems, the crank pulley sits in the cover a little bit, so i'm thinking the balance pulley and tbelt pulley would have about a few cm's of room to move along the crankshaft if the crank pulley comes off
apocolipse269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Had the same problem on my car. After running it hard, I heard a knock coming from the engine turned out to be the crank pulley wobbling. Drove it to a friends shop and the engine died on the way turned out that the key broke and the crank was turning but the cams weren't. Tried to take the crank bolt off and it broke. Tried to drill the bolt, went a little crooked(Messed up threads). Now I think I messed up the crank for good. Need to try a helicoil see if it'll work. If it don't work I might just part the motor out. We'll see what happens.
2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Well my problem was a bent crankshaft. O well I will probily get some money together to buy a beater (around $1000 civic bubble hopefully) and then work on a high proformance rebuild for the h22
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ok well i have done a lot of research and came up with nothing, my question is how would the crankshaft get bent in the first place, also what will this lead to, will it lead to a decrease in performance or damage the engine.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

What makes you think the crank is bent?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

new pulley did not help anything and the key did not appear damaged, unless you know of anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion