Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check engine light

I' new to the Predule world. We have a '98 automatic with 140k. On the way to church the other day I noticed the check engine light was on. The manual indicates that it has to do with the emissions. Is there ia common problem? Is there something I can check to find out what the issue is? Something I can replace? Or just suck it up and go to a repair place. Thanks
Bubba98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: -2 reviews
Well, if you know the "code", just use the search feature at the top of the list of posts, but if you don't know the code or how to get it and you think it might be emissions, then it's probably your egr valve or secondary o2 sensor, Which there are a million threads on this site for, just search "cleaning egr valve" or "o2 sensor"...I gaurentee you'll find something useful. Remember, this site is dedicated practically to "do-it-yourselfers-in-your-driveway type people, not people that can't even touch a car without getting tense, so if you can't do your own work, just take it to a shop. The egr procedure is extremely easy, it was the first thing i did to my lude after owning for 3 weeks with the help of this site, and I had never even touched a japanese car in my life. Good luck.
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

EGR valve is clean. Man on man was it dirty. Do you have to do something to reset the check engine light? Or will it just go off after driving it a few times?

Thanks for the info on the EGR valve.
Bubba98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
street racing instructor

Don't just guess, pull the code. Autozone will let you pull OBD2 codes for free.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: -2 reviews
you're supposed to unhook your batt for at least 30 seconds(most people just leave it off over night just in case) as for reseting the comp(the light along with it)...but just as Artifex said, you might not wanna take a chance and have it end up being not the egr...but let me warn you, I live in Cali, and here in Cali, Auto-zone will not do it for free, but instead they lend you the "thing" to let you do it yourself, but you have to "rent" it, and that costs 160 dollars(at least at my local store), but the good thing is that they give your money back when you give their machine back, but you have to have 160 bucks on you and some people don't have that layin around, take me for instance . Good luck.
pIERCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Or you could use the paper clip trick. And never pull your battery to reset a CEL. Pull the fuse under your hood marked "clock/radio" It's a 7.5 amp fuse, that'll do it. But go get your code checked, seriously
boymeetsfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Row-Bee Mmmkay?

can anyone tell me where the OBD2 port is on a 2000 prelude?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Passenger side, below glove box level on the side of the center console... if you were a passenger and you put your left foot left, you'd hit the carpeted cover almost... follow the carpet line from the center console (cup holder, shifter) forward and you'll hit it...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Row-Bee Mmmkay?

thanks!!!^^
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

If you don't reset the computer the light will go off and the code will be erased as long as the problem was fixed, it takes like 40 or something drive cycles. And yes bubba98, it does have to do with emissions, as a basic standard OBDII will set a code and or turn on the MIL if your car is in a situation where it might emit emissions levels that exceed the federal standard by 1.5
nbimprtlude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Replaced EGR valve, both o2 sensors and replaced cat

According to the codes, the EGR valve and cat needed replacement. They both have been replaced in addition ot both o2 sensors now. The mechanic turned the cel off, it was off for a couple of hours and now it is back on. What do I do now? Thanks.
elainekassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Same problem

My CEL and ATTS light came on about a day after I bought my car. I have replaced the O2S1 sensor and reset the light. It came back on after about 2 more days. Read the code again and it says the same thing O2S1. I'm lost. Aura
auraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
street racing instructor

There should be a page in the Helms manual about diagnosing codes. I don't have a Helms (or a Prelude) anymore, but for every code there is a list of things Honda says you should check. I would consult that.

To auraskye : you have an ATTS problem, not an O2 sensor problem.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the ATTS light came on any time that the check engine light came on. The problem I am having is that I have replaced both parts for the codes that came up. Reset the light and they both came back on. Could the ECU be screwed up? Ugg. I am so happy about this.
auraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I am sorry I disagree, I thought anytime the MIL came on, that automatically disabled and would turn on the ATTS light. Either way, if his code said it was a problem with the primary O2 sensor, then that is def. not an ATTS problem.
Auraskye, just because you have an O2 sensor DTC, it could be a problem with the circuitry/wiring, not just the sensor. Anything that shows up in a code does not mean just replace that part, and the mechanic you took it to should have known that, unless you said just replace those parts, or he is a backyard mechanic so to speak. For example, a constant like -40 reading on a scan tool from the CTS, and a CTS code, and you just replace the sensor, and then you realize there is an open in the wirring to or from the sensor, which means you can throw all the sensors you want on there but it is not going to fix the problem.
OBDII O2 sensor monitor normally checks the sensor in 3 ways...Voltage signal frequency, response time, and for excessive voltage. So again it may not be a sensor, if you have an exhaust leak right before the O2, then it will yield a consistently lean voltage signal and could set a light for voltage frequency.
nbimprtlude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member

It is true... the ATTS light will always follow a CEL. It doesn't mean the ATTS is malfunctioning, that would be indicated by a standalone ATTS light
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member
RIP my beauty

CEL=ATTS light=loss of vtec

~*Ali*~
www.hacstl.com
Alikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymeetsfence View Post
Or you could use the paper clip trick. And never pull your battery to reset a CEL. Pull the fuse under your hood marked "clock/radio" It's a 7.5 amp fuse, that'll do it. But go get your code checked, seriously
+1 --- I do this every time, before bringing it to Honda or my mechanic, so i don't get screwed.
silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member
'98 SH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikat View Post
CEL=ATTS light=loss of vtec
My CEL and ATTS lights are on and I can still engage VTEC.
SlowSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Supporting Member
RIP my beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSi View Post
My CEL and ATTS lights are on and I can still engage VTEC.

I actually just learned that only certain CELS will disengage VTEC. So yes, some do and some don't.

~*Ali*~
www.hacstl.com
Alikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion