Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car making a nasty whine on cold start up.

When it's really cold outside the car makes this strange whining noise right when it starts up. I'm going to try and get a sound clip of it tomorrow morning after it cools back off. I honestly have no idea what it could be making the noise. Anyone got any ideas? Car's running fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Power steering pump going out? Overly loose/tight belt?
Rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My car does that on really cold days when i start it in the morning. It sounds like an electric can opener for a few minutes. I was told it was the belts contracting in the cold. Nothing to worry about.
SnOwAnGeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Mine only happens for like 2-3 seconds. I'll record the sound in the morning with my phone. It started happening about a month ago.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
BB6'n till R34'n

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Does it sound like a belt or a mechanical noise?

1985 Corolla GT-S | 1985 Trueno Sprinter | 1989 Skyline GT-R | 2001 Prelude | 2005 STi | 2008 Forester XT| 1991 M923A1
TruFactsRacing.com
Solid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

this is a common sound experienced on cold start up, due to the fact that the oil needs a few moments to travel from the sump, up to the valves in the top of the engine. oil is thicker when cold. Just leave it running for 1 minute ( no revving ) then when the oil has circulated the engine fully, the sound of the valves quietens down and it is ok to drive.
Prelude543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude543 View Post
oil is thicker when cold.
Well that's not entirely true. Motor oil is thinner when cold and thicker when hot.

10W-30: 10 weight when cold (thin), 30 weight when hot (thick). That way, the oil can circulate much quicker on startup.

But the problem could still be due to lack of oil pressure on startup.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

oil is definetly thinner when hot. it has to be to circulate the engine components quickly and also to pass through the very tight spaces inside the motor. if oil was thicker when hot then its exothermic properties would be useless in helping lubricate an engine! also gen5 viscosity rating is 10w40 and it has nothing to do with weight.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

so the viscosity rating in this case is 10w40 which actually means what viscosity your engine will pump at. The W stands for winter, not weight. you can check yourself on wikipedia as a quick ref should you not believe me. cheers for the oil tutorial anyway though.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

i wuldnt exactly trust wikipedia
Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
herbivore

5gens ask for 5w30.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude543 View Post
so the viscosity rating in this case is 10w40 which actually means what viscosity your engine will pump at. The W stands for winter, not weight. you can check yourself on wikipedia as a quick ref should you not believe me. cheers for the oil tutorial anyway though.
Hi there...OK first off, I was just using 10W30 as an example. And I never said that the "W" stood for weight.

And looky here, taken straight from Valvoline.com - Home Page

"Multigrades
Multigrade oils typically begin as base oils, such as 10W. Then viscosity-index modifiers (polymers) are added in an effort to stabilize the viscosity. This allows a 10W40 oil to flow like a 10W at cold temperatures and a 40W at higher temperatures. In other words, multigrade oils are formulated to pass viscosity tests across a range of weights."

And another site, Auto Repair Advice (probably not as trustworthy, but it explains my point):

"Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores."

And from Howstuffworks "What does the weight mean on a can of motor oil?"

"Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature. This page from the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ offers the following very interesting description of how the polymers work:

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot."

You can take your wikipedia and shove it up your...well you know.

Sorry that the thread has turned into a pissing contest, but I couldn't let this guy spew the wrong information all over it.

Last edited by Rodmunch; 01-14-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
anywho, when you start your car, turn your steering wheel repeatedly and see if the growning noise follows its motions.
rpwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Prelude453 is correct. Oil is thicker when cold. When it's heated up, it gets thinner.

You are also correct Rodmunch. The polymers are added to oil so to make the oil thickness on cold days lighter in weight on cold start ups (to pass through the engine easier). The polymers also makes the oil a bit thicker in weight at higher temperatures. It contradicts the natural weight that oil wants to take... thicker when cold, thinner when hot.

Now you two kiss and make up. :P
Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have that chirping belt slipping sound too on statup, but it lasts for a second or so as well. I agree the oil is still in the pan and travelling to the head explaintation.
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion