Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I make a regular black key from the grey valet key?

What's up everyone? I bought my car and the Previous Owner only gave me a valet key. I read all the threads about T5 keys and getting the code copied at Honda. Before I go over to the Dealer I'd like to know if they can just copy the grey key onto a black blank or if they'll have to do the VIN number look-up routine. If the keys are the same cuts with just different blanks I might just try a mobile locksmith with a key burner.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

PS No Red Key

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i'd think you'd need to have the dealer or locksmith order the master key to make the correct cut. if you just copy yours it still won't open the trunk or glove box.

but you can use yours on a codeable key to get the code over, and then use the master to make the cut. IIRC a master key is about $30 to order, and then the cost of the codeable key.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
mobile locksmiths can't on honda's at least they're not suppose to have one, they best they can do is just make you a regular copy to open doors, trunks and glove boxes but not ignition. the grey valet key cannot be copied w/ the encrypted code. Honda is the only one that does it via the vin# they will of course do so w/ your driver's licence, proof of ownership. they don't need your grey key either. Everything is all in your vin#. buy the set rather just the one, it's cheaper (per key) plus you'll have extras just in case. Any locksmith who says they can do it beware, 1st they're not suppose to have the machine which honda (for security reasons) would never sell outside of their dealerships. plus if mobile locksmith "can" make you a copy, what's stopping him from making another for himself; think about it. he'll have to go to YOUR ADDRESS wont he? now he has your address and a copy of your key. if it were me, i'd just go to honda, we're talking about security. Key word:
i hope this helps.
97 bb6 sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bb6 sh View Post
mobile locksmiths can't on honda's at least they're not suppose to have one, they best they can do is just make you a regular copy to open doors, trunks and glove boxes but not ignition. the grey valet key cannot be copied w/ the encrypted code. Honda is the only one that does it via the vin# they will of course do so w/ your driver's licence, proof of ownership. they don't need your grey key either. Everything is all in your vin#. buy the set rather just the one, it's cheaper (per key) plus you'll have extras just in case. Any locksmith who says they can do it beware, 1st they're not suppose to have the machine which honda (for security reasons) would never sell outside of their dealerships. plus if mobile locksmith "can" make you a copy, what's stopping him from making another for himself; think about it. he'll have to go to YOUR ADDRESS wont he? now he has your address and a copy of your key. if it were me, i'd just go to honda, we're talking about security. Key word:
i hope this helps.
i don't know about mobile locksmiths, but a regular lock smith can copy the code on a honda key (black for sure - i don't know about valet), and they can get a master key.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Results so far:

Dealer #1: $85 for VIN lookup and copy code from Valet Key
Dealer #2: Can't do it
Mobile Locksmith #1: Phone disconnected
Mobile Locksmith #2: No preludes. Dealer only.

What's pissing me off is the previous owner has the key and is being a d$ck about giving it to me.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )

call a regular locksmith, not a mobile.

look for one in the phone book that says they do foreign cars.

but the dealer 1 price isn't that bad if it includes a key.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Follow-up

So for anyone who cares, here's additional information:

I took my valet key to the hardware store and had the guy copy it to a regular key (no chip or anything). Before he cut it I tested the blank and it fit into the trunk lock, glove box, etc. He copied the valet onto the regular blank and what do you know? It opens all the locks. Of course, it won't start the car but I knew that. What I wanted was a key to be able to operate all the locks. So now I have a spare key for the car in case I lock my keys in the car, too. The grand total:

$2.29
Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalolo View Post
What's pissing me off is the previous owner has the key and is being a d$ck about giving it to me.
Is this raising any flags to you? Why does he need to hold on to a key thats to a car which he SOLD to you? Thats failure to turn over rightful property. So if he keeps being a twit call the cops and see what they can do in your area.

Though you might want to consider changing your locks.

^^ Click me to see my WRITE-UPs!! ^^
Shimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah change the locks. That's stupidity on his end. I would call the cops or try and get that key off him. Weird I don't have a red key. Must be a USA thing.
KraserK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraserK View Post
Yeah change the locks. That's stupidity on his end. I would call the cops or try and get that key off him. Weird I don't have a red key. Must be a USA thing.
do you have a little green key light that blinks in the gauge panel when you 1st start the car?

my jdm ecu didn't need the immobilizer key
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredlude View Post
do you have a little green key light that blinks in the gauge panel when you 1st start the car?

my jdm ecu didn't need the immobilizer key
Nope. No green lights at all. The JDM's I guess didn't come with that sort of protection that sucks. That's why the preludes over here are like number 4 or 5 on the most stolen list lol. Update : Actually it's number 9 now. But it's still on the top 10 list grrr
KraserK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion