Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5th Gen. 5-speed Hard Shifting

I don't really think that what I have would be considered "hard shifting", but I don't really know what else to call it. When I'm shifting gears, rather than just slotting into the next gear smoothly the shifter itself feels like it's sticking a little. There is NO noise of any kind and the syncros were replaced about 15,000 ago. The shifter is sort of hard to pull back/push forwards and feels like it's getting caught on the "sides". Almost as if I had one of those gated shifter things (like Ferrari), and the slots weren't machined properly and were still rough. Sort of a firm, rubber feel. (It's REALLY hard to describe) . The car has 191,000 on it so I'm thinking shifter bushings, cables, etc., but the cables are like $265.00, so I'd want to be sure that they're the problem before I spend that kind of cash.

Thanks.
Red97PreludeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You didn't mention anything about the fluid.
1998 Prelude SH - totaled on 3/29/12, now being parted out
2006 S2000 (LBP) - purchased 6/16/12
2006 CRF150F - sold
2006 YZ250F - sold
Kronn 98SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

clutch master cylinder failing?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Possibly fluid or your synchros. I have this same problem but I know it is my synchros because I scrwed them up myself
KraserK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Update:

UPDATE: So I drove the car AFTER posting the thread, and I think I can better describe it. It's like the shifter is resisting me going into gear, almost like it were grinding...but then it slots in fine without the tranny making a sound. And I've only heard it make a noise once, and I'm POSITIVE it was from the shifter mechanism/linkages, NOT the syncros. The sound came from directly below my hand and was way too quiet to be syncros. Also the transmission was running rather low on fluid when I got the car, it has since been changed and is at the proper level. I haven't checked the clutch fluid/slave cylinder, but I can fully disengage the clutch.

Thanks,
Red97PreludeSH
Red97PreludeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97PreludeSH View Post
UPDATE: So I drove the car AFTER posting the thread, and I think I can better describe it. It's like the shifter is resisting me going into gear, almost like it were grinding...but then it slots in fine without the tranny making a sound. And I've only heard it make a noise once, and I'm POSITIVE it was from the shifter mechanism/linkages, NOT the syncros. The sound came from directly below my hand and was way too quiet to be syncros. Also the transmission was running rather low on fluid when I got the car, it has since been changed and is at the proper level. I haven't checked the clutch fluid/slave cylinder, but I can fully disengage the clutch.

Thanks,
Red97PreludeSH
I have the same problem as you! Exact same! Hopefully we get this sorted. It is suggested that you run HONDA MTF for 5,000kms then reflush it supposed to help out alot so that it clears the old crap out. NOTE : I have done the reflushes etc and it hasn't fixed this problem. I have checked clutch oil levels/slave etc..
KraserK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Booooo to honda mtf! AMSOIL SYNCHROMESH is the best tranny fluid for our cars hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2000 Audi A6 2.7t - Traded
2000 Honda Accord EX V6 - SOLD
2001 Honda Prelude BASE 5 speed - Current DD
I <3 My BB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

I heard mixing 2 parts Redline MTL and 1 part MT-90 will solve grinding problems on 2-3 grinds for Evo Xs... Could apply to M2B4 trannys too. I don't know i don't have this problem so I can't test it.

All I can say is I often shift without the clutch, but doing it smartly i.e. letting off the throttle, while downshifting into neutral and then waiting for the right RPM to shift into the next gear (like driving a semi). If you shift all the time like this you'll never have any problems with your synchros (granted it's not fun).

Your problem makes me think of a problem with synchros, as if they're not doing their job at letting you go in gear at whaterver RPM you want (that's what they're for after all).
barzook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion