Honda Prelude Online banner

Are the stock speakers really 6.5"? I have pics!

16K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  DaytonaPrelude 
#1 · (Edited)
Are the stock 5th gen prelude really 6.5" in the front? On the FAQ on this board it says that it is. I bought a 6.5" spacer from circuit city and it was too big for the stock location. Since it didn't fit I made my own. I traced the stock speaker on the mdf board and cut out the size. After I was done, I tried to mount my aftermarket CDT speaker on it. I found out that it was too small. I thought that I over cut the wood but I put the spacer back on the stock speakers it seemed to fit fine.

So I decided to measure the speakers for myself.

The CDT CL-62 6.5"

As you can see, the measurment came out to be about 6.5"

Stock speaker

The measruement for the stock came out to be about 6.25

My old Diamond Audio M361 6.25"

Here is all 3 of them

Here is the stock speaker on top of the CDT

Well since I can't make a spacer that fits and keep the stock grill closed I plan to buy a "slim" component set. I know CDT make slim speakers but I am afraid that the diameter may be too big for the stock location.

If I didn't have my Diamond Audio M361 to measure, I would of thought that CDT just made some oversize speaker. But since my Diamond Audio M361 also measured 6.25" I believed that the stock speaker size is also 6.25". I know for a fact that my Diamond Audio M361 was 6.25" because that was the only speakers that I was able to find that was in that size when I first bought it back in 2002.

Anyone else having problem with there 6.5" speakers not fitting diameter wise?

Here is the height of the stock speakers if anyone is intrested

See less See more
#2 ·
dont know bout the 5th gens, but i'm in the middle of learning the hard way right now, that NONE of the 4th gen speakers are 6.5. so I'm ghetto rigging them to fit right now, just odnt know if they're rattle or anything until I actually get them powered up.

We shall see

#3 ·
I found the perfect speakers for the job. They are also on sale right now at circuit city for $80 on clearance. They retail for about $250 and sell for about $100 at many of the other online car audio shop.
Kicker 05KS62

Its a pretty good deal and works great. I will do a full write up on the install and review on these speakers next week.
Here are the pics of the height of those kicker speakers
Stock on the LEFT and Kicker on the RIGHT.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes I did use an amp, the JBL P180.2, which is rated about 90wRMS x2 @4ohm. I used this amp in many different speakers and this amp is more then enough for these Kickers. The deck that I used is the Alpine 9827, one of the last GOOD mid range deck that alpine made before they sucked(except for there high end model).

INSTALLATIONS:
These speakers were very easy to install. They do require you to cut out the back plastic of the speaker door to make them fit. After you cut it, you can still use the stock mounting screw and holes. You do not need to make any speaker space or anything like that.
Cut the RED area out

The tweeters fits the stock location perfectly with the help of glue. All you need to do is remove the stock tweeters and glue the new one on the same location as the stock. It fits fine and still hidden behind the doors.

The crossover fits behind the door fine like how many 5th gen prelude have done it. There is a small pocket to fit the xover. I just used some foam 2 sided tape to stick the xover on the door. Make sure you clean off the dust on the door before you use the tape.

As far as the wiring goes, I kinda cheated. I did NOT run new wires from the inside of the car to the doors, I used stock wires. I did not think it was necessary to do it because I do not have a high powered system. I know the stock wires are pretty small, 22 gauge to be exact. I ran a 16 gauge wire from the trunk where the amp is located at to the front of the deck and that is where I intercepted the front speaker wires to connect to the amp. So the 22 gauge stock wires was only used for about 2 feet, from the HU area to the doors. 2 feet of 22 gauge wires should be fine for under 100wRMS that I am using.

REVIEW:
I got to test out these speakers for a good 90 minute ride each way on the freeway yesterday. I got to test out these speakers with many different types of songs, Jazz, rap/hip hop, RB, rock, and pop. To sum it all up, I am not happy with these speakers.

Overall, these speakers are "more clear" then the stock which is expected from an aftermarket speaker and they can handle a lot more power. When I turn up the volume, they do not distort as bad as the stock speakers.

On my first install I hated how un-natural the sound was coming from the speakers and also hated how bright the tweets was. I just couldn't believe that the coaxial version sounded a lot better on a co-worker's trunk so I rechecked all my wires again. I found out the problem, the speakers were out of phased. The inputs on the xover was crossed. After I fixed it, it sounded A LOT better and had better imaging. But the tweets still was way too bright for me. On my alpine deck, I could control the tweets from -7 to +7. I had to leave it at -7 so it won't bleed my ears. The tweets are very bright because it is made out of aluminum, it would of been more smoother if it was silk. I am not saying aluminum tweets can't sound good, it just takes more control.

The mids were decent. It was not as "boomy" as the stock, but the "boom" was more clean and not muddy like the stock. It is doable without a sub, but I highly recommend you use a sub or at least the rear 6x9 to support the speakers in the lower feq bass. I did not use dynamat or anything to deaden the front doors. If I deaden and cover up the holes in the front doors, I am sure I can improve the bass response on these speakers.

I bought these speakers for $80, which is okae for the price so but I would be really pissed if I bought them at full retail price of $250. One thing that I want to mention is that I have very high standards in SQ of a system and this set "does the job" for me. I've heard and owned a lot better quality system but to me it's just not worth the hassle of hacking into the car to put better speakers in this car that I will only keep for 2 more years.

Overall I give these speakers a 7/10. I recommended this for anyone who wants a simple install and improved sound quality for there 5th gen prelude. These speakers is a BIG improvement over stock.

#5 ·
the HUGE 6.5" component set from Infinity, not the kappa series but their "Perfect 6.1" fit in with minor modification, all I did was rubber mallet to make it use the stock covers and not interfere with window even wide open.

Can take pix if youlike but I think you can see their measurements on sites, really really deep subs for that component set, I love it

#10 ·
I didn't have to worry about this in my car, but I pulled the door panel off last week, and I saw that the basket was cut out just like you described.

Of course the crossover was sitting IN the door.. wtf? I still haven't done anything about it till now.

My buddy who was over when I had the door panel off was all upset because the speaker looked to be bigger than the mounts allowed for, and it is a 6.5 inch speaker.

I don't think there is an easy answer for this problem.. my main concern, there was water IN my door.

#8 ·
I installed a set of Polk db651 in my 93 today and had no problems. Didn't have to move the trunk bars or anything. It comes with a plastic mount/spacer that gave it enough room to drop in and not hit the bars. There is about a 1/2 clearance from the shelf to the bottom of the speaker (looking at in from inside the car) and I couldn't use the factory Honda covers. But they look good and sound great with no amp, just using a Sony GT520 head unit. Took maybe 20 minutes to install. The door speakers worked out just as well, though I haven't had time to replace the tweets yet.

#9 ·
the reason that some 6.5''s dont fit is because they're a ''true'' 6.5 that is 6.5 is diameter straight across, what u need is just a normal 6.5, they measure 6.5 when u follow the curve so when you go straight across it will be less then 6.5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.