Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Car Entertainment and Security
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2000, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey guys..
i am in the market for some subs.. I used to have 2 12inch soundstream SPL s a while back but i sold them.. I figured i wanted to get another box now but i dont know what.. i think i want to go JL.. i am assuming thats the best for you buck right now.. so if thats wrong let me know.. but more so.. should i go 1 15 inch or repeat the 2 12s. I want alot of bass.. kind that makes ur stomache rattle.. help me out?

------------------
1999 I4 coupe. black
H&R race springs
AEM intake
limo tint all around
blkacc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2000, 04:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I personally suggest two 12" subs. I think two JL 12" W-3's would do just fine with the right amp. If you have any more questions, let me know, I work at a car audio shop. Good luck mang, PEACE!

------------------
Red 93 Si HB
i/e, dropped, rims, sound system, and other lil' stuff here and there
pinoyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

whats the diff between w6 and w0.. also since u work ina shope.. i have an oppurtunity to buy a premade wedge setup for 3 jl 12 w0 with the subs.. guys wante me to make an offer.. how good is that and how much should i offer?

------------------
1999 I4 coupe. black
H&R race springs
AEM intake
limo tint all around
Old 12-05-2000, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
94civicEX

My stereo shop in town retails that box and subs at $625, I have had the box for like 4 months. Two months ago they replaced all the subs cause I thought they were messed up. It fits perfect in my car, I like it. Hit 141.8 DB at the last DB Drag.

------------------
  • Tint
  • Bullet Exhaust
  • System; 3 JL 12 W0's
  • Naxos Xenon Blue Headlights
  • Clear Corners
  • Viper Alarm
lots more on the way...
Old 12-06-2000, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

why u selling? out of curiosity?

------------------
1999 I4 coupe. black
H&R race springs
AEM intake
Apexi RS Exhaust
limo tint all around
Old 12-08-2000, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 18w6 for sale... This is a big one. It is in a sealed box too. I am looking for $400 for it. The sub might not be broken in yet, either. The Surround is super stiff, New condition.

email at SuperCoupe08@yahoo.com

------------------
SiElecBlue08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 04:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
94civicEX

I am going to get some coilovers and shocks then get like 3 or 4 15's or maybe just go down to like 2 12's or 3 10's

------------------
  • Tint
  • Bullet Exhaust
  • System; 3 JL 12 W0's
  • Clear Corners
  • Viper Alarm
lots more on the way...
Old 12-08-2000, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well, the JL W-series subs are numbered by power basically (i.e 12" W-3 rms is 250, while the rms on a 12" W-6 is somewhere around 500). It goes W-0, 3, then 6 in regards to sub power. You don't really need W-6's homie... those subs are gonna shake your damn car apart.

And about the box with the three JL W-0's for 625...? I don't think you should even come close to that price in your offer, and I don't think you should come close to that price when you pay for it! At my shop, I can sell you 3 JL W-0's for around for around somewhere around $350... so that leaves you with how much the box would cost... and I highly doubt my boss would come close to charging you $300 for a damn box... but I don't know 100% Email me if you have any further, detailed questions.

PEACE!

------------------
Red 93 Si HB
i/e, dropped, rims, sound system, and other lil' stuff here and there
pinoyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
94civicEX

It is a pre-fab JL box from JL they retail it at that. That is not what I paid for it of course.

------------------
  • Tint
  • Bullet Exhaust
  • System; 3 JL 12 W0's
  • Clear Corners
  • Viper Alarm
lots more on the way...
Old 12-08-2000, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

the w-6's are 300 rms and the w-3's are 250. I would get 2 12w3's because i have heard that even JL tech's are saying the w-3's are better than teh w'6's and this is why they are being discontinued.

If you give each around 400 rms they will slam. just be sure to set your gains right so you dont blow your subs and the get clean power. I have heard w-3's will take up to 500 rms ok and still sound good.

------------------
Hennessey1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

First, the 12w6 is rated at 300w rms. The w3 is rated at 250 rms.

The w6 is at least 6 yrs old, wheras the w3 is maybe 2. The w0 replaced the w1 and the w3 replaced the w4. The w6 simply has not been replaced yet, though it is slated to be.

Here is the important part. The w3 is more efficient than the w6 and therefore makes damn near the same output as the w6 with less power. Also, The w0 and the w3 have something called a VRC

The vented reinforcment collar sits at the junction of the cone and the former. The increased surface area there allows for much more glue to be applied, and the vents circulate the airflow throughout the voice coil more efficiently. By doing this, the speaker stays cooler. The integration of the VRC greatly increases the speakers integrity

The w3 also comes in more varieties of voice coil arrangements (dual 2,4, and 6 ohms). When you compare the w6 to the w3, about the only thing that they have in common is some sealed box req. and simlilar SQ. But, I will gaurantee you that the w3 will actually handle far more power than the w6.

To answer your question, you need to let us know how much power you have. Contrary to what many people may tell you, I have been convinced that ouptut is much more a function of the amp, and less a function of the sub. (for instance, I scores 144.3 db with the W0's. And 3 of them. And they were tens.) But, 2 12's have more cone area (and the more air you move the louder you are) and they are also much more contollable. While I understand you want bass, you still want it to sound musical. Of course, the fifteen will be happier playing low freq than the 12'w will. You may also consider varios box arrangements. Such as porting, or 'loading' (not bandpass, they suck IMO).

If you tell us the vehcle that you are in, the power you have available, the impedence that the amp is stable to mono, and your goals, (specifically), we can give you much moree accurate ideas

------------------
EXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Other Discussion > Car Entertainment and Security