Honda Prelude Online banner

head units drain battery overnight.

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  skyyskyy 
#1 · (Edited)
hello everyone i am new to this site, i own a 1992 prelude si and just purchased a 1998 5spd base ,when i got the car the previous owner took out his old head unit cause he said it was bad due to it draining the battery when it sat for a day or two, so i purchased a new head unit pioneer deh-p6000ub and installed it well now i have the same problem if the car sits over a 24hr period the battery is drained not dead just wont start the car, i checked and double checked the wiring harness and its seems to be wired right it turns off when the ignition is off and powers on when acc or started, when i disconnect the unit the car is fine starts everytime and no battery drain. also the rear speakers are removed but the stock amp in the trunk is still hooked up i dont know if that would drain the battery. please help any ideas would be appreciated i am lost the only good thing is the car came with dc headers and apexi n1 catback so at least i can listen to the beautiful exhaust notes while driving.

#2 ·
im leaning towards a bad line somewhere, i advise you replace your battery wires, and add another 4gauge or 2 wires off the negative and ground them somewhere else, see what that does for ya. Then go on to replacing your harness and inspect for a hole in the line behind your console, atleast you can narrow it down if it is indeed only the stereo draining it

#3 ·
thnx for the reply, my wife had to take the car today to go to a family emergency and wont be back for a week so this gives me time to order a new wiring harness might as well its only 3 bucks also i forgot to mention i did not have the blue power antenna wires hooked up because the car obviously doesnt have one, dont know if that helps, im also gonna wire the head unit into the 92 lude to make shure its not the unit itself ,two people with the same problem stranger things have happened to me. so if it works in the 92 and i install a new harness for the 98 and it still does it im gonna go with your idea and change the battery cables, it just seems strange it only does it with the head unit in if it were the cables, anyway if someone has anymore ideas please post them and i will try them a soon as the car is back. thank you for the help.

#5 ·
so i talked to my dad today and he works on electronics for a living and he says its probably a bad ground wire, do you think i should ground the radio to the car insted of using the harness ground? ahhhh its even worse the car isnt here so i can check it! hand me a wrench and an engine and i can work wonders throw in the electronics part of it and suddenly im the mentally challanged kid banging his head on the back of the bus seat. again thank you for dealing with my noobness.

#9 ·
so my baby is back home and i found the problem, after poking and proding around with a circuit tester i found that the acc wire and the memory wire were mixed up at the aftermarket harness, somehow they were switched in the harness so that the acc is really the memory and viceversa. so all is well now and my aftermarket rear speakers work with the factory amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.