Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What causes a windshield to crack?

I parked my car in the driveway when I got home from work. I go out 4 hours later to take it out of the driveway, and there is this big CRACK running from the top to the bottom down the middle.

What could have caused that? It doesn't look like anybody hit it or anything, but Im still looking for clues that could lead me to what happened. And just over the weekend, I got a rock chip like a half inch in diameter, but its on the side of the windshield, could that have anything to do with it?

Im so ****ing broke right now due to school, car problems, and just got a speeding ticket. How much will it run me to get a windshield and install it?

thanks
FullyLudedSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

insurance companies ususally cover the cost when its a windshield because it is illegal to have a damaged one.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
I'm back baby!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, Some states mandate that insurance companies pay the full cost because of the safety issues.

Most glass companies have specials like $100 with insurance, or even no cost when you claim it on insurance. And since it seems to be a environmental issue rather than vandolism you might not even feel it in your ins premiums.

My guess as to what happened is maybe temperature fluctuations. I have seen a windshield that had a tiny crack grow almost over night when the temperature changed dramatically. Did it get really hot or cold that day?
That's a shame. Such a beautiful looking pussy, except for that thing next to it.
fleshbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So I did some investigating last night while I was at work. I noticed some things that will help me catch the ****er that did it. It was a little kid, age 9-12, most likely male. I found a FOOTPRINT on my windshield and one on the back glass as well. It seems like someone doesnt walk around with shoes. Im going to ask around the neighborhood and find out. and I swear when I catch them, Im goin to make them pay for it.

damn i need to install and alarm on my car. Insurance wont cover it because I dont have full coverege.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Mercedes = Kraut Crap

f$%^in kids man, damn, that pisses me off and it's not even my car. I'll volunteer for the first night watch, and just sit out there with a baseball bat lol, someone deserves a beating for that, considering there's no way you can accidentally walk on someone's car from front to back.

Also, call around and see if there are any deals as mentioned before, SafeLite did my glass and came out to my place to do it. They warantee their work if you don't have any rust on the top support for the front windshield.

http://www.kiva.org
4thGenReady2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenReady2Go
f$%^in kids man, damn, that pisses me off and it's not even my car. I'll volunteer for the first night watch, and just sit out there with a baseball bat lol, someone deserves a beating for that, considering there's no way you can accidentally walk on someone's car from front to back.

Also, call around and see if there are any deals as mentioned before, SafeLite did my glass and came out to my place to do it. They warantee their work if you don't have any rust on the top support for the front windshield.
Thanks man. It didn't even happen at night, It happened during the afternoon while I was taking a nap.

How much did safelite do your windshield for? The problem is I have rust around my windshield, so I might just take it to a shop and have it done there.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Mercedes = Kraut Crap

yeah, you might then be better off. Safelite replaced my glass for $220 or $260, I can't remember, but I only had PLPD on my car, plus I didn't know anything about insurance companies covering the windshield, so it's worth a shot. In the end though, it would be better to take it to a place that, while the glass is off, cleans up the rusted areas a bit, might as well, right?

http://www.kiva.org
4thGenReady2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

most insurance companies will cover the cost minus the deductable being as most peoples are 250 to 500 you shell out most the cost yourself...I know this is true with progressive and like some guys said varies state to state...and I had safelite replace the glass on my truck before I got my lude about a year ago....they told me it was going to be about 350 (they thought insurance was covering it) then when I told them i was covering it they said it would only be 250...my glass is currently cracked right now on my lude so i need to see what it cost to replace...go luck with it though...and beat that kids ass if you catch him heh

-Kyle-
Jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
::: 5200 RPM = :-) :::

best thing to do is open up the yellow pages and get quotes...i did that for my mom's car..and you can find a good deal out there..

the prices fluctuate a good amount from place to place

1998 Honda Prelude Type SH - SOLD
2002 Honda S2000
PininFarina456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Good News - Caught the killer
Bad News - My brother's wife's little fat sister
Good News - They said they will pay for it
Bad News - I feel embarassed having them pay for it

I might just have them pay for the windshield and I'll pay for installation.

How much does a new windshield usually go for from auto glass places, not from a dealer? A friend said he can get one for me for under $200, is that good?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

About 250 to have it installed and for the windsheild

-Kyle-
Jeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

i was quoted $170 installed for a genuine honda glass windshield (mobile).

2005 Acura RSX Type S
----www.seansamson.net----
LudeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion