Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sarah is my baby

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SMALL oil leak from VTEC solenoid area?

I cleaned up my JDM H22 really well before putting it in, so spotting any fluid leaks would be easy. Well, I'm glad I did that, because there is a very small amount of oil right below the area where the VTEC solenoid and VTEC presure sensor are. I know the cam seals on B-series engines are notorious for faliure, causing similar symptoms. . .does the H22 have this problem also? How are the VTEC solenoid and pressure sensor sealed from oil leakage? ANy other suggestions?

Replaced with: "Zoom-Room"; 2003 Mazda Protege5
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Hell yes. Things to look for:
- Oil pan
- Rear main
- Front main
- Cam seals
- Dist seal
- VTEC solenoid
- Balancer shafts
- Valve cover
- Valve cover donuts (plug holes)

I think that's about it. The solenoid is easy to get to and the rubber is cheap. I'd go ahead and do the dist one as well, and the rear passenger's cam seal (can get to it w/o removing the cam). Other than the oil pan and valve cover, the others are tough enough to get to that unless they are a big problem, just do them when you do a timing belt (or clutch job, for the rear main).
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sarah is my baby

I think the only items you mentioned that are anywhere near my area of concern are:
  • Dist. seal (I removed the distributor to rewire it, so it might not have re-sealed correctly)
  • Valve cover gasket (removed valve cover to replace the leaky plug bore doughnuts while installing engine
  • VTEC solenoid seal (never touched it)
  • Cam seal

I don't leave any puddles on the ground, and the oil level hasn't gone down since the swap (or course, it's only been driven like 10 miles). My first guess would be the dist. seal or valve cover gasket (since I recently removed both of those). Guess I'll just replace the solenoid seal and cam seal at the same time.

Replaced with: "Zoom-Room"; 2003 Mazda Protege5
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would guess the Distributor. Thats where mine was leaking when i was short a Bolt.
[SUB[EX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I wasn't indicating that I thought these were your source, merely that they are the "usual suspects" when it comes to leaks.

Quote:
[*]Dist. seal (I removed the distributor to rewire it, so it might not have re-sealed correctly)[*]Valve cover gasket (removed valve cover to replace the leaky plug bore doughnuts while installing engine[*]VTEC solenoid seal (never touched it)[*]Cam seal[/list]
Generally the problem is not that things don't seal back up, it's that the seal deteriorated. As the rubber ages and is exposed to repeated thermal cycles and heat, it hardens and can crack. After maybe 100k miles or 10 years, just about all rubber is pretty well shot. You can't trust it, at least, and I would recommend replacing all of it.

Quote:
I don't leave any puddles on the ground, and the oil level hasn't gone down since the swap (or course, it's only been driven like 10 miles). My first guess would be the dist. seal or valve cover gasket (since I recently removed both of those). Guess I'll just replace the solenoid seal and cam seal at the same time.
My guess is the VTEC solenoid if that's where its leaking. I'd go ahead and replace all that you can get to since you're talking about $50-$75 in rubber from hparts.com, max.
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion