Honda Prelude Online banner

Rust preventative coating for brake rotors.

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gerhard 
#1 ·
Rust preventative coating for brake rotors:

Well, I'm trying to come up with ideas for good coating on my brake rotors to prevent rust.

I just got a pair of replacements, had them cryotreated, and am looking to coat them.

I've got two ideas:

- POR-15

- Oxphoblue

POR-15 is some pretty neat high temp paint that binds well to already rusted surfaces.

Oxphoblue is a gun bluing chemical that blues steel to a matte blue/black finish. (In theory I could coat the entire rotor using this method. Though my plan is the hub area and places between the rotors.)

What do you all think?

Gerhard

#2 ·
High-temp paint will work fine. I say go with whatever is easier.

The last time I painted a set of calipers I did it the "lazy" way w/o removing them or the rotor. I masked off most of the contact area and got the rotor hat and hub area. Those areas stayed painted until the car was sold (a few years). :)

#7 ·
Let's see-I had a set of Powerslots on the Civic for 3 years and the cad plating never really wore off. The pads were AEM/Nissin. You cannot go and use a paint for the rotor contact surfaces but all is good on the other areas. BTW: The Prelude has stock rotors and the only sign of rust is on the hats after 3+ years (brand new 5th gen) and 31k on the odometer.

Just me 2 cents.

#8 ·
Well, I think I'm going to try Oxpho Blue on the calipers just to get rid of that crappy rust look.

I did get the rotors back yesturday, masked off the braking surface, and used Oxpyoblue on the center hub part and the area between the platters.

What Oxyphoblue does is chemically plate the steel with a form of oxidized nickle. So, it's not a paint job, but a plating job that will prevent rust.

I decided to give this a try because the OEM rotors always get caked with rust in the vent area between the platters. When you take them off to get them cut, you end up with rust falling off all over the place. I'd like to see if there is simple way to prevent this.

It's supposed to work well on rust as well... so we'll see how it works with the caliper.

Gerhard

#10 ·
tastyratz said:
its better than high temp paint also because it wont be sealing in the heat and cause warpage.
That was what I was going for.... and one of my concerns...

If you've ever used a firearm that had a matte black finish... this is basically what Oxphoblue does to the surface.

It works pretty well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1072

I wasn't going for pretty, but utilitarian rust prevention.

I'm positive that it'll look better than the rusty calipers... The rotors seemed to come out nice enough.

Gerhard

#11 ·
UPDATE:

Well, the Oxpho blue worked great on the rotors...

It didn't work at all on the rusted calipers... so it looks like I'll paint them with POR-15 (black).

I'm fairly surprised that an acid based nickle phosphate coating didn't phase the rust on those calipers.

I'm wondering what type of steel alloy they are made of...

-Gerhard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.