Is a repaint as strong as the factory paint job? - Honda Prelude Forum
Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Seasoned Veteran
 
camarokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 461
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is a repaint as strong as the factory paint job?

From what I've heard about original paint jobs, the paint is baked onto the body. I'm guessing a repaint of the car by a body shop would be simply sprayed on and left to dry. Admittedly I know very little about automotive paint, but it would seem that an original paint job would hold up much better (less chance of cracking, chipping.) If this is true, than repainting the entire car should be a last resort, right? Thanks
__________________
~Matt

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2928232
Intake: AEM V2 TB: 68mm ProProducts IM: Euro R IM Insulator Gasket: Hondata Header: Hytech knock off with 2.5 collector, ceramic coated Cat: Vibrant 2.5" SS Exhaust: 2.5" SS w/ Magnaflow mufflers Tuning: NepTune RTP w/ Wideband Underdrive Pullies: AEM
camarokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Bixenon is my way of life
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cali 626
Posts: 359
iTrader: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yes factory paint is better then repaint, and yes u are corrected about paint being baked...theres different laws in each states, some states allow u to bake others doesnt ex(cali)...if u're plannin to repaint u're whole car u're best bet is to do a good amount of layers of paint...
LudeBoi121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Seasoned Veteran
 
camarokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 461
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What can I expect to pay for a high quality repaint of the factory color (WDP)? I don't need the engine bay, trunk, or door jams, just the exterior done very nicely. I hear thats 3 layers, primer, paint, and clear. Anyone had this done recently by a reputable shop? Thanks.
__________________
~Matt

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2928232
Intake: AEM V2 TB: 68mm ProProducts IM: Euro R IM Insulator Gasket: Hondata Header: Hytech knock off with 2.5 collector, ceramic coated Cat: Vibrant 2.5" SS Exhaust: 2.5" SS w/ Magnaflow mufflers Tuning: NepTune RTP w/ Wideband Underdrive Pullies: AEM
camarokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 565
iTrader: (2)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
a good shop will offer a lifetime warentee against cracking/flaking/fading i had half my car repainted when a beemer hit me and the work turned out very good.. not perfect like factory.. but good enough to satisfy me for the time being... just understand that moldings will be taped off and so it will never be perfect
__________________
tenzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Seasoned Veteran
 
camarokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 461
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokiller
What can I expect to pay for a high quality repaint of the factory color (WDP)? I don't need the engine bay, trunk, or door jams, just the exterior done very nicely. I hear thats 3 layers, primer, paint, and clear. Anyone had this done recently by a reputable shop? Thanks.
Ok, nvm. Everybody says good paint jobs start around 3K. Seems that spraying is the easy part, but taping everything off perfect and buffing it are the real work.
__________________
~Matt

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2928232
Intake: AEM V2 TB: 68mm ProProducts IM: Euro R IM Insulator Gasket: Hondata Header: Hytech knock off with 2.5 collector, ceramic coated Cat: Vibrant 2.5" SS Exhaust: 2.5" SS w/ Magnaflow mufflers Tuning: NepTune RTP w/ Wideband Underdrive Pullies: AEM

Last edited by camarokiller; 01-09-2005 at 04:43 PM.
camarokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Home, Alberta
Posts: 937
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't take it to a place that tapes. Have everything removed and repainted...... or DIY (the removal I mean).
__________________
kellyk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokiller
From what I've heard about original paint jobs, the paint is baked onto the body. I'm guessing a repaint of the car by a body shop would be simply sprayed on and left to dry. Admittedly I know very little about automotive paint, but it would seem that an original paint job would hold up much better (less chance of cracking, chipping.) If this is true, than repainting the entire car should be a last resort, right? Thanks
A repaint can be better or worse, depends on the quality of the job, i painted my own so mine is done right but its not done after that, u have to take care of ur paint for a while.

when a cars painted at the factory its a shell, no motor parts or seats trim painels etc etc. the paint used is different because it can be baked at higher temps to fully cure the paint. where in collision work u cant do that because if u baked it at those temps the int would melt. A collision shop would not be the best place to get a full paint job done at just because most of them are production shops and a complete paint job takes time and u can make more money doing 2 front ends of a car in less then half the time it would take to do a complete paint job.

To get a good complete paint job take it to a custom shop or a shop that restores cars.,

if ur paint cracks, chips, peels, fades, its either not prep right, or the chemicals are not mixed correctly, and if the paint cracks its due to waxing it to quicky. paint takes a good yr to fully cure, solvents are still coming out months after its been painted
__________________
Email me AIM: specalk99
Specalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Orlando
Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzola
a good shop will offer a lifetime warentee against cracking/flaking/fading i had half my car repainted when a beemer hit me and the work turned out very good.. not perfect like factory.. but good enough to satisfy me for the time being... just understand that moldings will be taped off and so it will never be perfect
factory paint jobs are not perfect, theres flaws in every oem paint job
__________________
Email me AIM: specalk99
Specalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Seasoned Veteran
 
camarokiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 461
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalk
A repaint can be better or worse, depends on the quality of the job, i painted my own so mine is done right but its not done after that, u have to take care of ur paint for a while.

when a cars painted at the factory its a shell, no motor parts or seats trim painels etc etc. the paint used is different because it can be baked at higher temps to fully cure the paint. where in collision work u cant do that because if u baked it at those temps the int would melt. A collision shop would not be the best place to get a full paint job done at just because most of them are production shops and a complete paint job takes time and u can make more money doing 2 front ends of a car in less then half the time it would take to do a complete paint job.

To get a good complete paint job take it to a custom shop or a shop that restores cars.,

if ur paint cracks, chips, peels, fades, its either not prep right, or the chemicals are not mixed correctly, and if the paint cracks its due to waxing it to quicky. paint takes a good yr to fully cure, solvents are still coming out months after its been painted
Thanks for the responce. My next door neighbor actually does customer painting for a living and works out of his garage. He says he usually charges $3,000 for a complete job, but he'll do mine for $1,500 when work is slow. I'm thinking this is a pretty fantastic deal. He uses dupont paint, is that good? Thanks!
__________________
~Matt

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2928232
Intake: AEM V2 TB: 68mm ProProducts IM: Euro R IM Insulator Gasket: Hondata Header: Hytech knock off with 2.5 collector, ceramic coated Cat: Vibrant 2.5" SS Exhaust: 2.5" SS w/ Magnaflow mufflers Tuning: NepTune RTP w/ Wideband Underdrive Pullies: AEM
camarokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Offtrack excursion expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Jersey
Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My repaints so far have held up qell.
__________________
Medium Scott
h22 bb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Thread Ender
 
LowFlyin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Okla. City
Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My repaint is better than the factory, as well. My current paint job has almost no noticeable orange peel, versus the factory paint with orange peel.
__________________
Chris @ DeatschWerks (Fuel Nerd)

The PepsiLude - Dec 2002 to Mar 2007
LowFlyin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1