newbie gear question - how fast can 1,2,3,4,5 gear go up to?? - Honda Prelude Forum
Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2002, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newbie gear question - how fast can 1,2,3,4,5 gear go up to??

im a newbie about manual shifting
im wondering how fast can
first gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear, 5th gear go up to?
like example ...1st gear 0-60KM/h...2nd gear 60-100KM..etc....
is there liek a range or what
is it diff in diff cars? i just want to know about the 5th gen preludes..

also does ppl always shift from 1st to 2nd at around 1500rpm? or can u go even higher? is there any difference?
why can't shift at 5000rpm so it hits VTEC?

i heard 2nd gear is like the work horse so i can vtec 2nd gear all the way?

Sorry for my newbieness
user604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Semper Fi!

You can find the max speeds for each gear (redline) in the owners manual I believe. It's cold out and I'm not wearing much right now so I don't want to run out and look it up... sorry

I usually shift at different points depending on how I'm driving. If I'm racing I shift at redline for each gear. If I'm warming my car up after sitting overnight in the winter I usually shift at or below 3000 and often double clutch too (explained below). If I'm just driving normally I usually shift somewhere between 4500 and 5500. It all depends on how much acceleration I'm trying to get.

Double clutching (I know someone will ask) - your driving down the road in 1st. It's time to shift into 2nd. Press in the clutch. Move shift lever from 1st to neutral. Let clutch up. Press clutch in again. Move shift lever to 2nd. Let clutch up again.

I do this in cold weather when my car sat a while because it seems that it is very still to shift and very infrequently under these cold conditions I notice that I grind a bit going into 2nd, and a bit more often going into 5th. Syncros might be wearing. It never does it when the car is warmer. You should not really need to double clutch a vehicle like this... it's used when driving trucks that don't have syncros I believe.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by BryanS
You should not really need to double clutch a vehicle like this... it's used when driving trucks that don't have syncros I believe.
yup, you do need to 2x clutch in trucks. pain in the arse!

'71 Datsun 240Z
'07 Audi A4 Cab (GREY not red.. jerks)
soccer3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

If your car is broken in, you can take it up to 5k every gear if you want. hell you can take it up to 8k every gear if you wanted (not recommended) only hit redline like that when your racing (as stated above)

1500 is awefully low to be changing gears, thats accelerating slower then a granny in Florida (no offense to any floridiots <-- thats what my friend called himself, he lives there)

When just "driving around" i change gears at like 3-4k rpm's usually.

jdm h22 - 180.3whp 151.4lbs/ft
Crate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

oh so i shift at 3000-4000rpm at every gear is that right?
in normal city will i be using 3rd gear?

so what speeds does each gear go to? im not talking about rpm im talking about how fast the car goes like mph or km/h
eg..first gear can go up to 30mph...etc..
Old 01-07-2002, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by user604
oh so i shift at 3000-4000rpm at every gear is that right?
in normal city will i be using 3rd gear?

so what speeds does each gear go to? im not talking about rpm im talking about how fast the car goes like mph or km/h
eg..first gear can go up to 30mph...etc..
Hey, what's up? You got a Manual one? Congratulations.

Yeah. When you are driving in a city @ 35mph, 3rd would be the correct gear, but if you are going 40-45, I would use 4th. Shifting around 3-4k rpm gives you a good balance of MPG and performance.

From my memory, 1st gear goes to 36mph, 2nd goes to 61mph, 3rd tops at 89mph and 4th I believe is around 112mph(Not sure on this though) and 5th goes all the way to your top speed (depends on how fast you can go, but not more than 154, where the fuel cut-off will stop you.)

All right. How is the driving?

BTW: Do NOT shift above 4000rpm during break in time (which is the first 600 miles).
shmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

hm...
well if 2nd gear can go up to 60mph...why not just use 2nd gear in city driving? I dont really understand it i can use 2nd and 3rd and it seems fine..my friend uses 3rd gear most of the time..he said it saves more fuel...is that true? and he told me 2nd gear will get the most power if i want power...

so i should shift to 3rd when im like around 3000-4000rpm too?

can you guys explain to me in what situation should i use 2nd gear and when for 3rd and when for 4th? like on bridge..highways...etc....
cuz i can't quite understand the concept...but i know how to shift...
Old 01-07-2002, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
2nd goes to 61mph
I personaly run 45mph in 3rd gear....i think most people do but im not sure.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
actually when i am cruising, i usually am in 5th gear (when above about 30 mph)

'71 Datsun 240Z
'07 Audi A4 Cab (GREY not red.. jerks)
soccer3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

your car has many gears so when you are cuising, you are at a low rpm which is better for fuel economy. i can't imagine cruising around going 50mph in second. you keep the car at high rpm's when you are trying to accelerate fast.
brendon2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

ohhh so if im jsut normal driving and stuff i should llike keep rpms around 3 to 4 and shfit is necessary?

but if im passing ppl and stuff i can kepe it at like 5000 for a while?

does my trans or engine get wear down easier if i keep leaving it around 5000rpm? like at VTEC mode?

vtec is at 5000rpm is it? is it same for every gear too?
Old 01-07-2002, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
does my trans or engine get wear down easier if i keep leaving it around 5000rpm? like at VTEC mode?
Not sure about yours, maybe not, but I know for sure that mine does.
shmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

I guess what it comes down to it, its how u feel with ur car. its not something people can teach u if u ask me, its something you have 2 find out for ur own and experiance...but thas my imput cause i had no help, i dont think there is a "trick" or right or wrong 2 a level.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Semper Fi!

I agree with that... my advice is just learn how to operate the clutch, move the shift lever, and control the gas to get smooth shifts... then drive however feels right... in a few hours of driving you will have answered your own question. It basically just depends on what you want your car to be doing, ie higher RPMs = worse gas milage, lower gears = better acceleration, higher gears = faster speed. If that doesn't make sense now it will make perfect sense after 15 minutes in the drivers seat.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

What you need to do is do alittle research as to how a clutch works, and what a transmission actually does, go read up (tons of places online) Just how a engine works. Find out what the ratio's mean, the difference between tall and short gearing, what exactly vtec is and how it works. Read up on "suck, squish, bang, blow". After you find out all of these things you will REALLY understand all your questions and really understand your car. Knowing these things while driving, you will notice more, hear more, and become more aware of whats actually going on under your hood and at the tips of your toes. It makes the driving experience much more gratifying. Also, doing this is what sparked my interest with honda's... =]

Once you have the basic fundamentals a whole new world opens up.

Once you understand exactly whats happening with your engine when you know what vtec is and how it engages, that loud sound of the runner opening up will have new meaning.

jdm h22 - 180.3whp 151.4lbs/ft
Crate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

I usually drive in 5th gear all the time even in town and in the small streets. RPM at about 1500-2000. I can go as low as about 20km/h in 5th on idle Would it be better for the engine and/or gas mileage to run it at a higher RPM like around 3000?
Forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

It says in many car manuals try to be in the highest gear as possible at all times to save fuel. I'm usually in 5th going above 40 mph. Staying in 3rd at that speed will only burn more gas. This is only when i'm cruising though.
BlckLude98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
hm...
well if 2nd gear can go up to 60mph...why not just use 2nd gear in city driving? I dont really understand it i can use 2nd and 3rd and it seems fine..my friend uses 3rd gear most of the time..he said it saves more fuel...is that true? and he told me 2nd gear will get the most power if i want power...

so i should shift to 3rd when im like around 3000-4000rpm too?

can you guys explain to me in what situation should i use 2nd gear and when for 3rd and when for 4th? like on bridge..highways...etc....
cuz i can't quite understand the concept...but i know how to shift...
DUDE... if you want to accelerate fast go to the lowest gear possible without going hitting ur redline. example... going 50 mph and dropping into 1st gear.... not good... going 50 and dropping into 2nd gear would be to accelerate at the fastest speed possible. if you wanna just drive and maintain ur speed then go to a high gear so you save ur engine life and save gas. if you sit there and run ur engine at 5000 rpms in 3rd gear on the highway going the same speed, that is completely pointless work ur making the engine go through... let the engine rest during these times and shift into 5th
Old 01-15-2002, 07:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

I was looking in my manual and I don't know if its just mine or everyone elses but I think the SI and VTEC tables are mixed up.
Riptide101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Unregistered

the Si has a lower top speed for each gear than either of the other 2 models (im talking 4th gen here)

someone told me that it was that the tranny had shorter gears that were geared for faster acceleration
G_Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion