Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to replace windshield, Any recommendations?

Long story short, something hit my windshield and I need to replace it :P It has lots of pits anyway so im glad to replace it.

Any recommendations or advice about it?

I hear some good things and some bad things about safelite. Same for diamond glass. Ide hate to deal with leaking in my car.

Any advice or recommendations about replacing my windshield would be great
MidNiteMysT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
street racing instructor

My lesson from experience was: don't just call some company out of the phonebook. In my case, I went to my Honda dealer, and asked them: If they have a broken windshield, who do you call? They directed me to a company doing replacements for like 20 years. They were awesome.

My recommendation is for you to do the same. Ask your dealer who they would call. I know a lot of the chain companies do a really sh1tty job, and it can cause you all sorts of problems.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifex View Post
My lesson from experience was: don't just call some company out of the phonebook. In my case, I went to my Honda dealer, and asked them: If they have a broken windshield, who do you call? They directed me to a company doing replacements for like 20 years. They were awesome.

My recommendation is for you to do the same. Ask your dealer who they would call. I know a lot of the chain companies do a really sh1tty job, and it can cause you all sorts of problems.
I feel like if I asked the dealership that question, they would say that they do it for $xxx.xx. Weird that they would give the name of the company instead of trying to make you do it by them instead. So you just simply asked what company they use to replace windows? And do you wanna call my local honda dealership? lol

I hate to just call any random place so a recommendation from a dealership would be great
MidNiteMysT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I'll disagree with Artifex here. For the most part glass is glass, and most of them are going to get their glass from PPG or one of the big suppliers (there are not a lot of different companies that make glass). As for installers, you will not be able to judge much by the name of the company. Most of them are chains with only a loose national affilitation and a Binswanger in one town might be the best place around and they may completely suck in another town.

Best bet is to find someone you trust with a recommendation but I wouldn't ask the dealer unless you have a personal relationship with them. In a lot of cases those dealer relationships may have purely a business foundation and nothing to do with quality. In most cases the shop won't screw the dealer but that doesn't mean they don't screw their own customers.

Case in point: a lot of tint shops do 90% of their work at/through a dealer and may not give a **** if your tint has bubbles in it. Same for a glass shop- they may spend all their time replacing windshields and doing cracks but don't care about referrals.

I've had good luck using the phone book and going for the lowest price. That's my advice- and shop around. IIRC the wholesale price for glass for a 5g from PPG (my dad works their & knows the wholesale price) was around $130. Expect them to charge something extra but you should be able to get it for <$200 before installation if you try hard enough.

I got a windshield replaced in my truck for $120 once. That was glass and install. Some places wanted more than $250 for it. IIRC it was a Binswanger and they did a great job.
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

For whatever it's worth, I just had mine replaced a month ago. Randomly found a place called the "The Glass Doctor" . . . they might be a chain, I'm not sure. Anyway, $258 installed, which is less than half of what any body shop or dealer around here could quote me. It took them less than 2 hours, and no leaks for the last month. They even were able to replace my registration sticker on the new windshield.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've have my windshield replaced by safelite and I haven't had problems with leaks or anything. I think if the technician who's installing the glass is careful and does a good job you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
spin_r_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I got my windshield replaced about a year ago by Guardian Auto Glass. They did a good job, no leaks or anything. They replaced the rubber thing at the bottom of the windshield with a "universal" one because they said the existing one wouldn't fit, but that is my only gripe.

2001 Honda Prelude - Daily
1992 Teal Supra - Weekend/Fun
ark86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion