Manual or hydraulic timing belt tensioner? - Honda Prelude Forum
Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

» Log in
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
JakeLude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual or hydraulic timing belt tensioner?

Hi, i just bought a oem timing belt kit for my 99 h22a and i will replace the timing belt and crank shaft tensioners. I heard some people replaced the hydraulic tensioner by a manual. Is it really better?

by the way i'm looking for some place on the web where i could by both of 'em and i dont want to pay too much.

Thank you!
JakeLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm white
 
petern101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Super Texas
Posts: 9,271
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
our sponsor sells a kit (irp.com)

the manual tensioner will never fail.

Just search the topic.
__________________

"I am a ricer because I have Z3 fenders"
Bless Her Heart ORG
petern101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Marlborough, MA
Posts: 4,987
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I switched to a manual tensioner on mine @ 100k, and had no problems for the next 80k miles when I sold the car. Fitting the timing belt over the cam gears with the manual tensioner is a *****, though.

That said, it seems a properly installed hydraulic tensioner is plenty reliable. I believe Honda revised the part years and years ago, which solved whatever was screwing them up in the late 90's.
__________________
--- Signatures are a waste of time ---
---------So is anything 'meta'----------
Daemione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I believe one issue with the auto tensioner is when you rev over 7500. So if you upgrade your valvetrain and retune to go to 8200 and actually start to live up there like in racing, the tensioner is more apt to the failure because it can't keep up. If you stay at the 7500 mark which they were designed for, then they are reliable.
pswarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ft Washington, MD
Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by petern101 View Post
our sponsor sells a kit (irp.com)

the manual tensioner will never fail.

Just search the topic.
Just like I told you 3 weeks ago when you posted about doing this project...

"IRP has a manual tensioner conversion kit that actually ended up being less expensive than replacing the auto tensioner (like $100)"
klager01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm white
 
petern101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Super Texas
Posts: 9,271
iTrader: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pswarts View Post
I believe one issue with the auto tensioner is when you rev over 7500. So if you upgrade your valvetrain and retune to go to 8200 and actually start to live up there like in racing, the tensioner is more apt to the failure because it can't keep up. If you stay at the 7500 mark which they were designed for, then they are reliable.
Anyone reading this, it's completely wrong.

Please ignore it.
__________________

"I am a ricer because I have Z3 fenders"
Bless Her Heart ORG
petern101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by petern101 View Post
anyone reading this, it's completely wrong.

Please ignore it.
agreed.
preludetypes200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemione View Post
I switched to a manual tensioner on mine @ 100k, and had no problems for the next 80k miles when I sold the car. Fitting the timing belt over the cam gears with the manual tensioner is a *****, though.

That said, it seems a properly installed hydraulic tensioner is plenty reliable. I believe Honda revised the part years and years ago, which solved whatever was screwing them up in the late 90's.
Bump. Totally agree with Daemione here. I switched recently from manual tensioner and I'm glad with the result. It may just give you a pain in the arse when fitting it.

Last edited by ndrewoods; 02-04-2011 at 12:33 AM.
ndrewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
minilogoguy18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have someone there to push down on the pulley(towards the crank) while you slide the belt on its easy, not that bad by yourself either if you can push down on the tensioner and slide the belt on the intake cam at the same time.

Honda did release a new part though that isn't prone to failure like the one from the factory which is why they urge people to buy a new tensioner when doing the t-belt for the first time. The manual is still great though as it will outlast the car.

Be smart though while your in there already, replace the water pump, both cam seals, crank seal, front balance shaft seal and rear balance shaft ring gear seal. Not doing them is about as dumb as not doing the rear main seal while doing the clutch especially since oil leaking on the timing belt can cause it to fail.
__________________
New Formula Red 93 BB2: JDM OBD1 H22a/T2W4 Accord Euro R transmission
minilogoguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )
 
lilredlude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 2,803
iTrader: (14)
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by minilogoguy18 View Post
If you have someone there to push down on the pulley(towards the crank) while you slide the belt on its easy, not that bad by yourself either if you can push down on the tensioner and slide the belt on the intake cam at the same time.

Honda did release a new part though that isn't prone to failure like the one from the factory which is why they urge people to buy a new tensioner when doing the t-belt for the first time. The manual is still great though as it will outlast the car.

Be smart though while your in there already, replace the water pump, both cam seals, crank seal, front balance shaft seal and rear balance shaft ring gear seal. Not doing them is about as dumb as not doing the rear main seal while doing the clutch especially since oil leaking on the timing belt can cause it to fail.
doing my tbelt again soon (because the last owner did it without those seals). whats the part # for the rear balance shaft ring gear seal? that's one i couldn't find.
__________________
If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't.
lilredlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F/S Timing belt, water pump, auto to manual tensioner swap... Da_lude Parts Classifieds 15 02-07-2010 11:47 AM
How tight should the timing belt be with the manual tensioner? tywaugh Fifth Gen Prelude Discussion 2 07-17-2009 07:14 AM
Manual timing belt tensioner adjustment question nighttime General Prelude Discussion 8 10-03-2003 04:33 PM
Auto vs Manual Timing Belt Tensioner Zimmlude Fourth Gen Prelude Discussion 2 11-29-2002 08:51 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1