Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual or hydraulic timing belt tensioner?

Hi, i just bought a oem timing belt kit for my 99 h22a and i will replace the timing belt and crank shaft tensioners. I heard some people replaced the hydraulic tensioner by a manual. Is it really better?

by the way i'm looking for some place on the web where i could by both of 'em and i dont want to pay too much.

Thank you!
JakeLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm white

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
our sponsor sells a kit (irp.com)

the manual tensioner will never fail.

Just search the topic.

"I am a ricer because I have Z3 fenders"
Bless Her Heart ORG
petern101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I switched to a manual tensioner on mine @ 100k, and had no problems for the next 80k miles when I sold the car. Fitting the timing belt over the cam gears with the manual tensioner is a *****, though.

That said, it seems a properly installed hydraulic tensioner is plenty reliable. I believe Honda revised the part years and years ago, which solved whatever was screwing them up in the late 90's.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

I believe one issue with the auto tensioner is when you rev over 7500. So if you upgrade your valvetrain and retune to go to 8200 and actually start to live up there like in racing, the tensioner is more apt to the failure because it can't keep up. If you stay at the 7500 mark which they were designed for, then they are reliable.
pswarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern101 View Post
our sponsor sells a kit (irp.com)

the manual tensioner will never fail.

Just search the topic.
Just like I told you 3 weeks ago when you posted about doing this project...

"IRP has a manual tensioner conversion kit that actually ended up being less expensive than replacing the auto tensioner (like $100)"
klager01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm white

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pswarts View Post
I believe one issue with the auto tensioner is when you rev over 7500. So if you upgrade your valvetrain and retune to go to 8200 and actually start to live up there like in racing, the tensioner is more apt to the failure because it can't keep up. If you stay at the 7500 mark which they were designed for, then they are reliable.
Anyone reading this, it's completely wrong.

Please ignore it.

"I am a ricer because I have Z3 fenders"
Bless Her Heart ORG
petern101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern101 View Post
anyone reading this, it's completely wrong.

Please ignore it.
agreed.
preludetypes200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemione View Post
I switched to a manual tensioner on mine @ 100k, and had no problems for the next 80k miles when I sold the car. Fitting the timing belt over the cam gears with the manual tensioner is a *****, though.

That said, it seems a properly installed hydraulic tensioner is plenty reliable. I believe Honda revised the part years and years ago, which solved whatever was screwing them up in the late 90's.
Bump. Totally agree with Daemione here. I switched recently from manual tensioner and I'm glad with the result. It may just give you a pain in the arse when fitting it.

Last edited by ndrewoods; 02-04-2011 at 12:33 AM.
ndrewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have someone there to push down on the pulley(towards the crank) while you slide the belt on its easy, not that bad by yourself either if you can push down on the tensioner and slide the belt on the intake cam at the same time.

Honda did release a new part though that isn't prone to failure like the one from the factory which is why they urge people to buy a new tensioner when doing the t-belt for the first time. The manual is still great though as it will outlast the car.

Be smart though while your in there already, replace the water pump, both cam seals, crank seal, front balance shaft seal and rear balance shaft ring gear seal. Not doing them is about as dumb as not doing the rear main seal while doing the clutch especially since oil leaking on the timing belt can cause it to fail.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( o.O )

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by minilogoguy18 View Post
If you have someone there to push down on the pulley(towards the crank) while you slide the belt on its easy, not that bad by yourself either if you can push down on the tensioner and slide the belt on the intake cam at the same time.

Honda did release a new part though that isn't prone to failure like the one from the factory which is why they urge people to buy a new tensioner when doing the t-belt for the first time. The manual is still great though as it will outlast the car.

Be smart though while your in there already, replace the water pump, both cam seals, crank seal, front balance shaft seal and rear balance shaft ring gear seal. Not doing them is about as dumb as not doing the rear main seal while doing the clutch especially since oil leaking on the timing belt can cause it to fail.
doing my tbelt again soon (because the last owner did it without those seals). whats the part # for the rear balance shaft ring gear seal? that's one i couldn't find.
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion