Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2002, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HIt a pothole

Thanks to the city of Glendale, and the never ending road construction, and dumb ass construction workers I now have a dent in my front rim. The morons dug a hole around a man hole cover about 4 inches deep, and didnt think to put cones in that lane.

So Im driving at speed limit for the first time and drove right over it, dented my rim, I think my alignment is off. I dont know what else might have gotten damaged. I dont know if I should take it to a mechanic or to the dealer to take a look at. My car is still under warranty.

'03 Lancer Evolution (Buschur stage 1)
dmlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2002, 01:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

what happened to ur car after? any weird sound? handling different? any different when u r driving now?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wantgoback
what happened to ur car after? any weird sound? handling different? any different when u r driving now?
The steering wheel vibrates more than it did before. Its mostly on the freeway though.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

file a report n they should pay for it
BoYgUaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Re: HIt a pothole

Quote:
Originally posted by dmlude
I dont know if I should take it to a mechanic or to the dealer to take a look at. My car is still under warranty.
The dealer won't cover it. I bent my rim somehow and they just put weights on it to help balance it - they wouldn't replace it.

Cheers!
Lonely Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I dont really care about the rim, Im more concerned about damage to the suspension. What Im worried about is the fact that I have aftermarket shocks/springs on the car. These parts didnt cause the damage, the chunk of missing road did.

I just dont wanna get sh*t from the dealer about how my shocks and springs are to blame for the steering wheel vibrating at freeway speeds.

Old 11-15-2002, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont really care about the rim, Im more concerned about damage to the suspension. What Im worried about is the fact that I have aftermarket shocks/springs on the car. These parts didnt cause the damage, the chunk of missing road did.

I just dont wanna get sh*t from the dealer about how my shocks and springs are to blame for the steering wheel vibrating at freeway speeds.
go check it .. i dont think the shocks and springs will have problems .. but better go double check .. good luck

bryant
Old 11-15-2002, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member
It was a funny angle..

Definately find out what constuction crew/company was working on it. The exact same thing happened to me with the pot hole being unmaked. I went over it no more than 30 mph and bent the front rim and popped both left side tires. This was on my old civic by the way with 15s with 195/50s. Just my luck my car was disabled and I had to pull into a gas station. I walked over to the crew and asked for the supervisor and there was actually a State inspector that looked at my car and the manhole. He called the owner of the constuction company and told hm that it was thier fault and should reimburse me. A few days later I met the owner and he handed my a fat check for a new rim, two tires, and towing. He felt sorry for my becuase he was a car enthusest. He actually showed up in some old car (looked like pre 30's) fully restored.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally posted by BoYgUaN
file a report n they should pay for it
I dont know how things work in your state but im my town you haft to go to the town hall and have a waiver of at least 30ppl agreeing that the road is bad or they will not fix it or pay for your car damages

PSN - Andre BR99
XBOXLIVE - TopGear SNES
ShadowSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

just change your rims and have it aligned again.

Honda Prelude 2001
AEM Polished CAI
Greddy SP catback exhaust
MSD 8.5mm sparkplug wires
Denso Iridium spark plugs
and some other crap...
chanluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

It sounds to me like your only problem is the bent rim. Try getting that balanced (or replaced) may fix the vibrating on the highway. I've had more than one misbalanced rim cause me all sorts of stress.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Full time Balla

will insurance cover this? this may be an oppertunity to get a new set of aftermarket rims, i know i only have a $50 deductible
Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally posted by Porschify
will insurance cover this? this may be an oppertunity to get a new set of aftermarket rims, i know i only have a $50 deductible
Let me think about NO insurance only cover for things that happen to your car by another driver, or vandalism.

PSN - Andre BR99
XBOXLIVE - TopGear SNES
ShadowSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Definitely talk to the city or the contractor who was working the site. You could have done more damage. Your bent rim explains the vibrating steering wheel, but you could have damaged your shocks also. I ran over a 4" PVC pipe which f*cked up my shocks. When I replaced them about a month later, the rubber bump stop had been shredded. Go to a competent shop and have then check out the entire suspension then take the bill to the city.

97 EGP Base 5spd Prelude. Engine: DC short ram, DC SS headers, AEM pulleys, Random High flow cat, Mugen sport exhaust, Apexi VAFC. Suspension: Tein SS, Tanabe front lower tie, Neuspeed front upper strut, Neuspeed rear sway, Tanabe rear upper strut, DC rear lower tie, 17X7.5 5Zigen Typhoons with 215/40/17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. Other: Bride Ergo II, Spoon oil cap, Magnecor wires, relocated Odyssey 680 battery, Denso iridiums, Mugen pedals, Mugen lugnuts, shortened shifter w/ Momo airleather, Rotora slotted rotors and Endless NA-Y pads, Goodridge SS lines.
fmshaw1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by zameoj
Definately find out what constuction crew/company was working on it. The exact same thing happened to me with the pot hole being unmaked. I went over it no more than 30 mph and bent the front rim and popped both left side tires. This was on my old civic by the way with 15s with 195/50s. Just my luck my car was disabled and I had to pull into a gas station. I walked over to the crew and asked for the supervisor and there was actually a State inspector that looked at my car and the manhole. He called the owner of the constuction company and told hm that it was thier fault and should reimburse me. A few days later I met the owner and he handed my a fat check for a new rim, two tires, and towing. He felt sorry for my becuase he was a car enthusest. He actually showed up in some old car (looked like pre 30's) fully restored.
I concure. Unfortunately, I had the same thing happen to me in the town I used to live in, but was in such a hurry to leave that I didn't file the formalities... I was screwed out of my money, and had to pay for the repair myself, b/c I left the city (over 1200 miles away.) For future reference, if this happens to any of you PO-ers out there, file a grievance immediately.

J

Jason (AIM-->JDMSLICK96, or MSN IM-->JDMSLICK96)... For SALE: Recaro SRD Limited Edition seats, VTEC sub enclosure w/ Kicker 6x9 Free Air subwoofer (& free amp). PM w/ offers. Rest In Eternal Peace, Capt Derek Argel, Capt Jeremy Fresques, Pfc Chris Hill, & Sgt John House (all lost to Iraqi conflict).

Anybody want to buy my Lude? (Will sell in either stock or fairly modded trim).
SLICK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Just to update you guys, I just found out that a friend of mine is a friend of the mayor, so Im gonna go see him today and see if I can get them to cover the damages.

I took the car to robertson honda this morning, they said that the front swaybar bracket was broken so they replaced that. I have the bill for that, and the price for a new rim. All I can do now is wait and see what happens.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( >< )

samething happened to me but i didnt dent my rim, my rear bumper hit the hole and got ripped off...that sucked, damn fiberglass
Old 11-17-2002, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 92 SI Ludester
samething happened to me but i didnt dent my rim, my rear bumper hit the hole and got ripped off...that sucked, damn fiberglass
Yet another reason I can't get myself to get a body kit... ARGH. Sorry this happened to ya.

J

Jason (AIM-->JDMSLICK96, or MSN IM-->JDMSLICK96)... For SALE: Recaro SRD Limited Edition seats, VTEC sub enclosure w/ Kicker 6x9 Free Air subwoofer (& free amp). PM w/ offers. Rest In Eternal Peace, Capt Derek Argel, Capt Jeremy Fresques, Pfc Chris Hill, & Sgt John House (all lost to Iraqi conflict).

Anybody want to buy my Lude? (Will sell in either stock or fairly modded trim).
SLICK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member
( >< )

yeah but damage wasnt as bad as you would expect...able to fix it and i only have little chop marks on the bottom drivers side of rear and 1 bolt and washer to hold up where the bad crack was...maybe 200 worth of damage...guess that is good news in its own way

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion