Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Sponsor

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Hit a curb HARD, what do you think is damaged?

As sad as this is, it actually happened months ago, I'm finally posting a question about it. I was at a gas station and their was blinding sun, preventing from having a good view of anything and I was driving to get around a big Van that was getting gas at the corner of the gas station and I ended up SLAMMING my front right wheel into a cement "island" curb that stuck out of place near the Air/Water pumps at the corner of the gas station..simply because I couldn't see anything.

After effects of this:
-My steering wheel is now "off" about 20 degrees to the left. Meaning, to drive straight I have to have my steering wheel turned to the left about 20 degrees.
-Other than that the car doesnt drive as if alignment is terribly off or anything, but I know I will need an alignment.
-Also when going over HIGH speed bumps, I hear a crunching sound, maybe like shock knock or something?... that comes from the front right wheel well suspension area.

So what suspension component(s) do you think i damaged or what do you think is the problem....my steering wheel now sits 20 degrees off to the left to go straight! I have briefly looked under the car and can't particarly see anything wrong...
Thanks.

E-mail Us: sales@importrp.com
Call Toll Free 1-888-378-7278 ( or 425-357-6818 Local/International) - Mon-Fri 8am-5pm PST
*Make sure to mention you're from Preludeonline!*

Last edited by Mike95lude; 03-14-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Mike95lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
KG6TWI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you been driving like this for months?

Your going to need new tire, and a good alignment at the least. Probabally some bent suspension parts too.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut
Have you been driving like this for months?
Yep, I'm VERY busy . I can still drive the car fine, the steering wheel is just off. And I hear a crunch/scraping noise on my right wheel area on high speed bumps sometimes.

A friend suggested that I might have bent my control arm?

Call Toll Free 1-888-378-7278 ( or 425-357-6818 Local/International) - Mon-Fri 8am-5pm PST
Old 03-15-2003, 04:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Nuke'em til they glow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike95lude

Yep, I'm VERY busy . I can still drive the car fine, the steering wheel is just off. And I hear a crunch/scraping noise on my right wheel area on high speed bumps sometimes.

A friend suggested that I might have bent my control arm?
You need to take the time to get that fixed before you get killed when a broken suspention piece comes loose at 70MPH.

If the car is that messed up that the steering wheel is significantly off AND it's making scraping noises, you shouldn't be driving it.

I've had my Prelude for going on 5 years... I've hit all sorts of things and the front end has never been off.... So you are probably in really bad shape.
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 05:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Yeah, you could very well have a bent control arm, amongst other damaged parts. And yeah, get it checked it soon. We don't want you to lost control when your car falls apart
axio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
VTEC On Ice = BAD

This happened to me after sliding SIDEWAYS at about 30 mph into a curb:

PLEASE HELP: Bad curb check

I replaced: Control Arm, Knuckle (expensive), and some other parts. Cost was about $1200.

You probably need to replace a blown shock, control arm, tire and likely the wheel + 4 wheel alignment. I bet its about $1000 to repair

GroverzVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't quote me on this, but I think you might get off easy. You definitely need an alignment, but I don't think you seriously damaged the suspension. You were only going what, 5-10 mph and you hit it dead on? You may have bent a wheel, but most suspension damage I know of happens when you slide into something sideways or at a steep angle. There is much less chance of damaging something if you hit it dead on.

The crunching sound could be a bad or blown shock damper. If you hit a curb dead on it's going to whack the wheel up there a lot higher than it is supposed to go. I hit a drain pipe that was left in the road and I had tire rub marks on the very top of my wheel well and they ain't supposed to go that high!

97 EGP Base 5spd Prelude. Engine: DC short ram, DC SS headers, AEM pulleys, Random High flow cat, Mugen sport exhaust, Apexi VAFC. Suspension: Tein SS, Tanabe front lower tie, Neuspeed front upper strut, Neuspeed rear sway, Tanabe rear upper strut, DC rear lower tie, 17X7.5 5Zigen Typhoons with 215/40/17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. Other: Bride Ergo II, Spoon oil cap, Magnecor wires, relocated Odyssey 680 battery, Denso iridiums, Mugen pedals, Mugen lugnuts, shortened shifter w/ Momo airleather, Rotora slotted rotors and Endless NA-Y pads, Goodridge SS lines.
fmshaw1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
PreludeOnline Sponsor

Yeah, I was definately only going 5-10 mph max. I don't think my wheel is bent, it drives fine and looks fine

What steps would you guys take first to get this solved?

Would taking it to Honda for an inspection be good? I don't want to be commited to paying for any repair other than an alignment until it is officially diagnosed. Does Honda do alignments?...I took my car to Les Schwab tire center last time to have it done.

Old 03-15-2003, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
VTEC On Ice = BAD

My advice:

Take it to Honda, they are the experts...especially with things you do not want blowing up at 90mph...like the suspension and engine.

If you were only going 10mph yeah you probably will probably need another shock, mounts for it, and maybe a rim...though be sure to pick up a rim (if you have to) from a 3rd party...the dealer charges almost $500 for a new one. I picked up a used one and saved assloads of $$$

Drew

Old 03-17-2003, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Real Racing Mod

I just recently went over one last season and here is what I had wrong:

Front Engine Beam
Lower Control Arm
Radius Arm
Swaybar Endlink
Wheel Bearing
Front Hub

My steering wheel is clocked like yours and will be fixed when these are fixed. The wheel actually sits a little farther back now than before. My advise is to take it to Honda and have them lay it up and they will tell you everything that is bent along with a quote for the parts. Then go junk yard hunting for most of them.
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
Darth Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Da Monkii

CHeck on the control arm man, and if the case is worse then the frame might be damage too. This have happen tooo me that is how i ended up with a lude now not integra
Old 03-17-2003, 09:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
less whore than before

^^I don't think he hit it hard enough to bend the frame.

Kevin
khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
If the wheel is about 20 degrees off, I would suspect that everything on that side is damaged (upper/lower arms, strut, fork, radius rod, possibly rod end) as well as the subframe having been shifted. Take it in, but I suspect most if not all of those will be replaced. You simply have to eyeball what's really bad, replace it, then replace parts until you get the alignment back under control.
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!

wow, i acidentally bumped my wheel into a curb at 5mph, and came away with just a deep curb mark on my wheels, didn't know i could've gotten that much damage
DudewithaLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Real Racing Mod

When you take it into Honda, nothing is really recorded, its free to get the quote, then you will know what is out of spec. They will check it per their specs and also look for cracked paint which is a tell tale sign on the frame parts if they are bent.
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
Darth Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

yeah man, get that shyt checked out before you crash. 'crunching' sounds when you cut the wheel don't sound very encouraging. And 20 degrees offline for a steering wheels sounds extreme.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Supporting Member
VTEC On Ice = BAD

I hate curbs with a passion for this very reason...

Old 03-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Supporting Member
less whore than before

^^and the center islands and the bank. I cut one a little too sharp and scratched the hell out of my wheel :sad:

Kevin
khilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion