Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2002, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Faulty CV joint symptoms?

Has anyone had CV joint problems in their Preludes (regardless of gen model) before? If so, what are the "symptoms"? Is there anything sound-wise that you hear?

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred...--Soichiro Honda
www.hacstl.com
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2002, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great question-there can be a clicking sound when turning. Also in severe cases (before failure)excessive play. Are your boots damaged in any way or are the retaining clips loose? Is there grease on the half-shafts? If you answer YES to any of these-get it fixed pronto. I came across this during routine maintenance at the dealer on my Civic HB. There was grease all over the passenger half-shaft caused by nothing more than a loose retainer. Seems that the CV boots shrink with time and this is something that needs attention.
Good luck with it.
'89 CRX Si= SCCA/NASA/PDA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab (4.7L)-gonna tow
Thanks to KONI, KIRK Racing, Longacre, UPRacing, Summit, Racing Electronics and my crew.
jc836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Go Cards!

I don't have a clicking sound, but I have a "squeaking" sound when I make a turn. I did a quick check of the coilovers/struts, but they appear OK, and it doesn't seem like it dropped down lower than the 1.5 drop that I've had.

The squeaking is coming from my left front wheel.

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred...--Soichiro Honda
www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Metal on metal, metal on rubber... what kind of squeaking? Constant pitch or varying with speed, turning angle, turning speed...?

CV joints don't usually squeak; it's just not really possible with the way they are designed. Expect a light ticking, "popcorn popping," or CLACKing from so-so to "worst" condition.

If a boot is torn, loose, etc. and caught in time (before you hear noise) you can generally replace the boot (with less expense). If the boot has been violated for a long time and there is the possibility of water/dirt contamination, replace the shaft.

It's a good idea to clean the boots when you clean the car, or when you change oil. Keep them clean, keep debris out of the folds, and check them regularly. They last a LOT longer when the boots stay intact!
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jacques: I've had CV joints go bad in my Acura Legends--what these guys are telling you is exactly right.

I don't think you have a CV joint problem. I think with most Honda products, they're good for at least 60,000 miles, usually 70,000-80,000.

1) You said the noise was coming from the left front.
2) You said it happens when you're turning.
3) You said it sounds like a squealing noise.

This may be a long shot, but have you given any thought to your power steering pump? Or maybe the belt's loose?

Good luck.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by marcucci
Metal on metal, metal on rubber... what kind of squeaking? Constant pitch or varying with speed, turning angle, turning speed...?
By the way you described it, it doesn't sound like the CV boots. The squeaking sounds like rubber squeaking. The squeaking happens when I'm turning at slower speeds...doesn't seem noticeable at higher speed. I thought it might be the GCs and Konis, but when I push down on that side, there's no squeaking. I didn't see any visible damage, well, except for the top part of the threaded sleeve (I figured that would happen anyways). Any ideas?

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

This may be a long shot, but have you given any thought to your power steering pump? Or maybe the belt's loose?
I'll check the power steering pump. A belt being loose? The sound is directed around the wheel well.

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

You're gonna have to let that cutie of yours drive it in a parking lot while you walk beside it and listen.

While doing this, you might have to "raise the bonnet" as Andrewdelvard might say. Hmmmmm... there are a couple of ways of interpreting that...
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

While doing this, you might have to "raise the bonnet" as Andrewdelvard might say. Hmmmmm... there are a couple of ways of interpreting that...

Although, something like that MIGHT cheer me up.

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
This will sound stupid... but have you gotten new tires recently? Sound like squeaky-clean rubber on pavement? I get that noise with new tires...
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by marcucci
This will sound stupid... but have you gotten new tires recently? Sound like squeaky-clean rubber on pavement? I get that noise with new tires...
I've had the tires for 3 weeks, but the squeaking is only coming from the front left.

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Could it be debris? Bushings?

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member
too much jdm stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacques
Could it be debris? Bushings?
I'm getting the same kind of squeak you're describing. Mine's in the front right side though. I'm guessing it's a bushing. It does only happen at low speed turns, but that might be because you can't hear it at higher speeds... IMO.

If you do indeed find out what it is.. let me/us know, as I won't be pulling my suspension apart until spring (getting ES bushings, the old ones are pretty worn out).

-Erik

86 Corolla - Cusco 6pt cage, TRD 10kg/8kg, Tokico HTS, J-Blood, Work Equips

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Gude TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstops, Z3 fenders, azenis --- FOR SALE
thatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by thatchmaster

If you do indeed find out what it is.. let me/us know, as I won't be pulling my suspension apart until spring (getting ES bushings, the old ones are pretty worn out).
If bushings is the case...I'm having the dealership look at it this weekend while I have the oil changed (too cold outside to do my own oil ). Can they replace the bushings with stock bushings under warranty?

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

and you will definately wanna keep an eye on that inner cv boot on the drivers side cause we lowered SH owners have a tendency to tear them how many miles are on your car cause if you are still under the 36000 mile warranty it might be a good idea to buy a CV boot kit if it does rip then you can save the axel like i did
Old 02-06-2002, 07:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Go Cards!

I have 58,000 miles...I've had the GC/Konis from 32,000 and on. I guess I'll find out Saturday what it could be.

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 08:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

CV boots usually last quite a long time- like at least 75K before any type of ripping/tearing.

My lude made it like 1300 miles and the right CV boot split wide open- have no idea why- but got it replaced under warranty. Easy way to tell if your CV boots are leaking- check for thick black grease globs on the inside of your wheels and or wheel-well area.
Spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Go Cards!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spocko
Easy way to tell if your CV boots are leaking- check for thick black grease globs on the inside of your wheels and or wheel-well area.
The wheels appear clean. So the mystery continues...

www.hacstl.com
Old 02-06-2002, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

i tore a boot when i hit a dead groundhog (basically my car bunny hopped when it hit the thing...well groundhog-hopped... )

anyway...grease isn't gonna be on thte wheel or in the wheel well...you're gonna have to jack the thing up and check out your axle area and under carriage. Take your wheel off and you'll easily be able to inspect the boot for a tear. New boot + install cost like $90 or so at the dealer. Pricey...but a pain to do yourself if you don't have the right tools.

Mine clicked when backing up slowly and turning.
MikeRenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 06:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

new CV boot is cheap $20 in parts and a couple hours of labor if you have a axel nut, a big breaker bar and some other basic tools to take your suspension apart plus its a chance to learn something new if you dont know already
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion