Honda Prelude Online banner

double-clutching and rev-matching?????????

6K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  xnixsin 
#1 ·
new to the tuner scene and I have been reading people talking about double-clutching and rev-matching can somebody please explain to me what this means. I am having clutch problems now and whatever advice that can help about being easier on parts and myself will help. I have 1996 Honda Prelude S 2.2 manual thanks guys

#3 ·
what clutch problems are you having? these are more advanced so if your having problems now i suggest dont try.lol

double clutching- instead going strait from gear to gear some people *engage clutch, put it in neutral, engage clutch again and move it into desired gear believing it opens up the clutch more

rev matching- when you down shift from 3rd to 2nd or whatever, theres an obvious jerk because your changed the gear ratio of the transmission. so rev matching you anticipate that jerk, assuming the jump in rpms is about 1-2k rpms, you *engage clutch, downshift into desired gear and with the clutch still engaged, tap the gas pedal to rev it up to the rpm you will be at in the lower gear and let off the clutch quick. you will have a cool sounding and smooth feeling downshift.lol

#5 ·
I have a 1996 honda prelude manual trans. I am having problems shifting, is there a possibility that it could be the clutch pedal opposed to the actual clutch. It just started acting up, at some points it feels like it is slipping, the next it feels like the clutch pedal itself is not doing its job. there was even a time when I started it while it was in first and it started to idle forward like an automatic. at certain times it is really hard to shift at other times it is as smooth as can be, I do not want to pay for a clutch job if I can fix it for cheaper. please help and thanks for the advice

#8 ·
even thought I have play in the pedal to about half way to the floor? there are times when it gets stuck in the middle and I have to put my foot under it to convince it to release all the way, even though that is where all my play is, when I am engaging the clutch

#10 ·
The clutch and syncros in my old sh went out and like you I really don't believe in double clutching, but oddly enough it helped a lot. It made the shifting smoother, and the clutch would engage with the tiny bit of friction it still had. The whole double clutching thing is definitely spawned from fandf though lol

#11 ·
Double clutching was a necessary technique back in the days before synchromesh was standard. If anyone cares those gear boxes were refered to as "crash boxes". There is really no reason to double clutch a transmission with good synchros. On the other hand knowing how to double clutch can be very useful if your synchros are shot as xnixsin points out.

#14 ·
are you guys serious. yeah double clutching may have to different meaning. one is the one you mention the other one that racers do is imeaditily after shifting gears you pop the clutch real quik and it gives a little extra pull. i don;t double clutch the only time i do is if i'm racing and i'm neck to neck with someone usually in top gear.

fyi; that is what they are talking about in the fast in the furious when say double clutching. "granny shifting not double clutching when you should be"
you almost had me? you never had me. you never had your car.
and the imfamous i live my life a quarter mile at a time. lol

#16 ·
okay, first popping the clutch isn't really a technical term. its more like slang for releasing the clutch really fast. to double clutch actually it doesn't matter if you just switched gears or not, but most people who do it in every gear do right after you switch because it's the best time. better than doing it in higher rpm where your making more power. I'm not sure how it work scientifically to break it down, but when you pop the clutch in real quik your building up power as in the resistence of the clutch at the same time while your clutch is burning and when you release it you get a small jolt of power. when you double clutch every gear you top speed will be lower but your accelration will increase a bit.

so to double clutch all you do is push the clutch in really fast and release the clutch really fast.

personally i only do it when i'm neck to neck with some one usually in top gear and were are pretty much at a stale mate.

i didn't once every gear when i was racing my friends turbo eclipse with my 5gen prelude which had intake and exhaust only. well i was on my way to getting smoked, we just got on the freeway ramp. his car spooled up real quik. so trying to keep up i was double clutching every gear driving like a bay out of hell. so needless to say he won. I was in 5th gear about to hit redline traveling a 130mph. there was no where else for my motor to go and at this point the guy was like 8-10 car lengths ahead of me.

#19 ·
what do you mean by shifting faster. how am i shifting faster. i don't know what you are trying to say.

it's called double clutching because your pressing in the clutch twice. one when your shifting gears, and once when you just got done shifting gears.ideally, even though you can do it anytime the throttle is wide open.

that's what double clutching is and if you say its not. you don't know what double clutching is.

#22 ·
well forget what wikipedia says. that is double clutching but not the only definition of double clutching.

I'm just amazed how the majority of people don't know what it is. I thought it was common knowledge amongst racers and that the majority of people knew what double clutching is. at least the one i'm refering too. I don't mean to disrespect both of you guys are knowledge able guys and quite frankly can't beilive that you guys don't know what i'm talking about or anyone here.

well take it as you want that is what double clutching is, along with the other one you guys are talking about. 1st of all how would that make sense in the fast and the furious when he says, granny shifting, not double clutching every gear when you should be". I'm sure he's talking about getting locked out of his transmission. I don't need to justify myself like i said i know what it is. I'm just surprised this is the first time it came across your ear.

also a somewhat friend of mine, use to race at el cajon speed way in san diego. he was the owner of tipton honda in el cajon and still is. name,Ty Tipton. anyways he use to race stockcars at el cajon speed way. I forget what class but it was all sohc ford pintos and he knew what double clutching is. he told me how he got his ass chewed off by the owner of the car caz he double clutching close the finish line. I don't remeber his exact words but it was something like don't f ing do that are you crazy your gonna rip the flywheel out of the car, blah balh balh. which I don't belive would enless you had a flywheel that was made in china. but whatever.

guys, don't try to tell me what double clutching is when you don't.
all my racer friends know what double clutching is. the one you refer too I'm familar with and i've heard it as double clutching or pumping the clutch.

but the racing one is the one i'm talking about.

and fast? I don't know what fast is...?

what do you know about vaccum pressure and its effects on acceleration?

I know alot of things about cars, not everything, but enough to know what double clutching is and how not to take my car to a shop to get bs shop rates and having shotty work done on my car, by some guy who doesn't give a f about anything but getting the job done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.