Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
DIY: 5th Gen Side Markers That Blink (Fender Lights)

okay so a while back i posted a thread for some help wiring my side marker lights so that they stay lit w/ my parking lights and blink w/ my blinkers. you lucky bastard 4th gen owners don't have to worry about this issue. it's all good though... we get the sex appeal and you get easy to wire side marker lights... lol

5th Gen FTMFW!!!

I do have to add that i had my side markers pre installed. Bustr (97predator) cut the holes while i wired up the lights. he's a handy fukker... lol. but this is still handy if you do not have your done already. just cut the holes for your lights and then follow this DIY.

ok so here is the nitty gritty...

GOAL:
Wire Side Markers To Both My Running Lights & My Turn Signals

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
  1. Phillips Head Screw Driver
  2. Wire Stripper
  3. Crimper or Pliers
  4. Electrical Tape
  5. Zip/Wire Ties
  6. 2 SPDT Relays (Sing Pull Double Throw)
  7. Some Extra Wire (Both Black for Ground & Red for Power -- does not have to be those color)
  8. Quick Splice Connector
  9. Female Quick Connectors

Step 1
Remove this screw from your bumper light and then pull the light out of the bumper so you can access the wiring.

Step 2
Locate the wiring that is attached to the plug for the bumper light bulb. This pic below is from the blinker but the plug and wiring is the same as the bumper light (lo siento). You will find 1 green and 1 black wire. the black is your ground and the green is your power.

Step 3
Now remove your Blinker. Looking through the lower portion of your grill locate this screw and loosen it so you can remove the lamp.

So now you should have both lamps removed and the plugs hanging out from the bumper so that you can access the wiring for both.
Step 4
Start w/ the TURN SIGNAL/BLINKER from the front of your bumper. as i stated above you will find both a black/ground wire and a green/power wire. cut a piece of extra wire about 2 feet long, which is way too long for this but you it'll allow you to run the wire... you can cut the excess later(i used blue so that i could show you the difference between all wires run -- you'll see in pic below). using a QUICK SPLICE CONNECTOR wrap it around the power wire from the blinker and insert the end of the wire that you just cut, now crip the connector. this is your blinker line which you will later run to the relay.

the easiest way to run the wire is to cut it first and run it from the bumper/running light through the bumper to the blinker. it's really easy to just feed the wire through. just stick your hand in where the blinker was as you send the wire in from the bumper light hole.
SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:

Step 5
now like you just did w/ the blinker wiring locate the green wire from the bumper light. using another QUICK SPLICE CONNECTOR cut and connect another wire that will run from your bumper lights power to the relay (explained later).

red dot is the power wire that is spliced into the power from the bumper/running light
white dot is the power wire that is run to the side marker/fender lamp/light
blue dot is the power wire that is coming from the blinker
:usaribbon:
so now you have your power source from both your blinker and the running lights
Step 6
using another QUICK SPLICE CONNECTOR do what you just did for the power wire and do the same for the ground from the bumper light which will be run to the relay as well - no pic for this splice but if you made it this far you shold be ok w/ figuring it out.
:biggrin:

by now you will have 4 wires hanging out of the hole where your bumper light goes.

REDdot is the power wire that is spliced into the power from the bumper/running light
WHITEdot is the power wire that is run to the side marker/fender lamp/light
BLUEdot is the power wire that is coming from the blinker
BLACK dot is the ground wire coming from the bumper light that will be connected to the relay

Step 7
okay so now it's time to run all your wires to your relay...
if you look at the prongs coming out of the relay they will all be number... you will find 5 connection points

not the greatest pic

thanks to LilMsPrelude I have the proper wiring for this mod:

terminal 85 = (+) 12V from the Blinker source (BLUE dot)
terminal 86 = (-) Ground (BLACKdot)
Terminal 87 = do not use
terminal 87A = (+) 12v to the marker light assembly/bulb (WHITE dot)
terminal 30 = (+) 12V from the "running lights" source. (RED dot)

not the greatest pic but the instructions are 100% accurate
Step 8
test to see if your mod works
stays lit w/ parking lights and blinks with blinkers
make sure you turn your keys to accessory because your blinkers will not work if you don't and you will think you just wasted your time and wanna ***** slap me. LOL
:slap:
Step 9
if everything is working correctly it's time to put everything back together.
using the electrical tape wrap the living shyt out of all your splices. zip tie your wires together and then wrap the relay up. i used the finger from a rubber glove and wrapped it around the relay than i wrapped the entire thing up with electrical tape. you can zip tie it to the wiring from the bumper lights and tuck or double stick tape it just inside the hole from the bumper lights (you can hide your relay wherever you want to - this is what i did). now put the blinker light back together and return it to your bumper and do the same with the bumper light.
Step 10
repeat steps 1-9 and do the other side

FINISHED PRODUCT:

YouTube - Prelude Side Marker/Blinker
YouTube - Prelude Side Marker/Blinker

THE MOD TOOK ME ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO DO (Keep In Mind I Had Already Installed My Lights Before I Wired This Up)
THIS THREAD TOOK ME ABOUT 60 MINUTES TO LOAD PICS AND TYPE UP...LOL

PM ME FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO JOIN

HUGE 5TH GEN PARTOUT - LONG ISLAND, NY (click link below)
http://www.preludeonline.com/f30/bil...and-ny-248203/
98BB6SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice write up gonna need it in the future
SocalPreludeBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks a lot bro. let me know if you need any help when you're ready to do it.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

your a F8king amazing man, thanks for the info I'll need this soon

Just wondering where you got your equipment from.

-sunnyD
sunnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks a lot bro...
you can get the relays at Pep Boys and the side markers i got at Passwordjdm.com.

good luck and let me know if you need help

Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bringing it back from the dead :confused:

OK So ya don't mean to bring this post back from the dead but I'm slightly confused....Just got done installing my fender lights and they work perfect as far as staying lit and blinking...my only problem is they only blink when the park or headlights are on...if I turn the lights off they don't blink?? Are they supposed to work this way? By the looks of the video the blinkers work on your car regardless of whether or not the lights are on or off.
Lueders74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Great thread,Thank you to all those who posted...., keep them coming

huahuamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I hate to bring back an old thread, but I just kind of stumbled across this one and was browsing through it. Just looking at the relay setup. I notice a flaw in the wiring of the relay. If you wire the relay the way its posted you will only get a blinker when the parking lights or headlights are on. I have a relay setup in mind and will test it when I get home today. Im pretty sure it will work. So after I test it. Ill post it

Last edited by diversity210; 03-16-2017 at 10:45 AM.
diversity210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is how the relay should be wired

85 - Parking Light +
86 - Turn Signal +
30 - Side Marker
87 - Constant 12v + (Make sure to fuse this line with 5am fuse)
87a - Not Used

Basically its wired to where the signal and parking light are piggy backing off each other polarity. When the parking lights are on and the signal is off. The signal is grounded, which energizes the relay coil and moves the armature from 87a to 87 sending that 12v to 30 which is the side marker. The signal light pulses between negative and positive. So when you use the signal while the parking light is on it constantly energizes and de-energizes the relay coil moving the armature back and forth between 87 and 87a. When the signal pulses positive it de-energizes the going and returns the armature to 87a which isnt hooked up to anything so the flasher turns off. When it pulses to negative. It energizes the coil and the armature moves to 87 which in turn sends that 12v to 30. When the parking lights are off the signal lamp will work in the same manner I mention just the oposite way. So when the parking lights are off they are grounded. So when the signal pulses positive it will energize the circuit moving the armature to 87 and when it pulses negative it de-energizes the circuit moving the armature back to 87a.

I hope that makes sense. I just wanted to throw in how it works, because knowing how to do something is great, but know how it actually works is even better.
diversity210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion