Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak please help

There's oil leaking down the side of the oil pan. could be from the cam seal. but i had a friend come look at my 98 honda prelude jdm h22. he took of the valve cover and the cam cover no leak from the cam seal. he;s tellin me it could me the oil pump or seal. should i just replace the whole pump? please help.

Last edited by BlueRanger 98; 03-13-2010 at 03:24 AM.
BlueRanger 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Which state do you live in? Some don't require emission testing.
stevej37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRanger 98 View Post
ok so i was thinking of buying a 98 honda prelude with a jdm h22a engine. so the guy is telling me that his check engine light is on due do the 02 sensor. he said it will not pass smog if its on. also he was telling me that he needs to pass the smog in order to transfer it under my name or something.
is it something i could fix?
what should i do please help. thanks.
Hey. I had an engine light for the EGR valve in my 5th gen. Real easy fix buy expensive. Now I have the light again for egr air flow. I'm pretty sur the 02 sensor has something to do with somewhere in between that and the intake ao u might wanna check into that?!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Insufficient EGR flow in a fifth generation is a symptom of intake manifold EGR runner clogging, a common problem on these models. The fourth gens and Accords have more access and a different design in the mainfold, so they don't have this problem. Unfortunately, the fix is a bit difficult to do correctly. According to Honda's Service Bulletin 98-074, you want to drill out the EGR ports on the manifold (those metal plugs on top of the manifold), tap them, and pull them out with a slide hammer. Then you clean out the ports with a coat hanger (per Honda's instructions!) and tap in new plugs. The plugs are cheap: part number P/N 17199-PT3-AHM, H/C 6078596. The entire kit from Honda, however is usually a hair under $300 ( ) it is P/N 07WAZ-001000A and includes 30 plugs, the slide hammer, etc.
As for the original poster's question, the O2 sensor is not really related at all to EGR, in fact taking the EGR off will make your car run better, but not cleaner (do not do this, eco-villians!). O2 sensor failure codes, whether for an O2 heater circuit or a regular circuit generally indicate a failure of the sensor itself. You can get a Honda sensor, or a good aftermarket (like Bosch) and see if that does the trick. One thing to make sure of is that the sensor is actually there: some shady aftermarket headers either don't have a sensor port, or it is in the wrong place, and the exhaust shop leaves it off. Also, if they try to extend the wire for the sensor further back to reach, they can mess up the 5v reference voltage going to the sensor; I've seen both these problems before. They can also mix up the (green and white?) wires that go to the sensor plug, on many Hondas these two wires are reversed in color when wired correctly from the factory, for some reason.
Lastly, the car will not pass emissions. On OBDII cars such as your, there is no "sniffer" that goes in the tailpipe, the tech just plugs in there computer to the car's computer, and it makes sure that the CEL is turned off, in other words, the car tells the machine it is emissions compliant. Even if you don't have to pass emissions in your state, you should fix it, as it will be happy for the environment, and your car is only only running in open loop, which will affect non-WOT drivability. I hope this helps. Good luck!
willybv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by breazylude View Post
Hey. I had an engine light for the EGR valve in my 5th gen. Real easy fix buy expensive. Now I have the light again for egr air flow. I'm pretty sur the 02 sensor has something to do with somewhere in between that and the intake ao u might wanna check into that?!
it is your egr ports you need to pull the old port plugs...clean the ports out and put new plugs in thats the only way to fix the flow problem
myorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion