Honda Prelude Forum Honda Prelude Forum Header Right
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow Advertise

PreludeOnline.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Bleed kit

I'm currently looking for a brake bleed kit that can be done by a single person. Just to get it out of the way, I tend to do my work at strange hours and I don't know anyone that wants to spend an hour pumping brakes. So please don't respond with do it the old fashioned way. I'm currently looking at this kit

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

However, according to a few of the reviews there have been problems with the Honda master cylinder seal point. I haven't heard of a remedy for this which is preventing me from purchasing the unit.

There's also the units that pull the fluid from the resivor. There have been mixed reviews on these units. Since it's easier to get air into the system with these units. Though I'm still considering them. Something similar to this

http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_st...d=7574462_5283

Though I can find them at much better pricing than that. The only benifit of this type is that it comes with a catch can to collect the old brake fluid. But that's a marginal benifit at best.

Lastly there are items like Speed Bleeders. After reasearching these I'd rather stay away from these units if at all possible. Seems that if you want to use these, you're going to have to replace them every few bleeds. That's something that I'd rather not do.

Price wise I want to try to stay below $50 if possible.
TimeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can just pick up a one-man bleeder kit from Autozone for like $6.

Stick the mini-reservoir via magnet to the upper control arm, hook up the tubing to the bleed nipple & open the screw. Pump the brakes, close the bleed screw. Repeat. Refill master cylinder, empty mini-reservoir. Go on to the other 3 wheels.

It's not fast, but it works.

Last edited by Daemione; 11-11-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Daemione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

all you need is a rubber hose and a ziplock bag. i've found the ziplock bag method to be best, the bag is small and light. you wont fill up more than 1/3 of the bag by the time your done with your lude.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by Daemione
You can just pick up a one-man bleeder kit from Autozone for like $6.

Stick the mini-resevoir via magnet to the upper control arm, hook up the tubing to the bleed nipple & open the screw. Pump the brakes, close the bleed screw. Repeat. Refill master cylinder, empty mini-resevoir. Go on to the other 3 wheels.

It's not fast, but it works.
That's a good way to get air into the system.

Try bleeding a clutch like that.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you're doing a brake bleeding job the traditional way, the only way to do it right is with two people. One person to pump, and the other to open/close the bleed bolt when the system is under pressure. If the system is not under pressure, you run the risk of introducing air into the system.

As for positive pressure bleeders, I made my own for the Miata. It took an afternoon and a few parts, but it works like a charm. I use it with an air compressor instead of a bug sprayer, though.

I have heard of problems with the Movit kit, as the universal MC cap doesn't seal well.

Todd tried making a positive pressure bleeder for his S2k's clutch, and he found that the cap wouldn't seal, but I don't know how he did it, so I can't comment on his problems.

I didn't have any problems making my own, and I would prefer to use a genuine cap made for the car rather than a universal cap.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
It was a funny angle..

You can get a kit similar to the Kal you linked to above at Autozone for about $30-$40. Its not as nice but does the same thing and comes with a lot a different pieces (attachments). I've been using this to bleed my clutch system for we've been trying to troubleshoot my slipping problem. Also, If you drain your system dry this seems like the only/quickest way to get fluid back into the system (at least for me). You can do all sorts of diagnostic tests with this type kit so you will same the time and have it for other uses.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 71dsp
Re: cheapy Autozone one-man bleeder

That's a good way to get air into the system.

Try bleeding a clutch like that.
How does it get air in the system?

From what I understand, the air gets pushed out when you pump the pedal, after a few pumps, the mini-reservoir starts to fill, so when you let up on the brake pedal, it sucks fluid back in instead of more air. Granted, it doesn't work every time, which is why I repeat. No air in my lines that I can feel. ***shrug***

How is bleeding a clutch different? More pedal travel or something? I haven't tried doing a clutch system with it yet.

Last edited by Daemione; 11-11-2002 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

We haven't been able to get a clutch to properly work unless two people did the bleeding. The pedal goes to the floor and stays there. Somehow air gets into the system.

Have you ever noticed that brake fluid weeps around the bleed bolt when you bleed brakes? It escapes through the space between the threads on the caliper and bleed bolt (ever notice how loosely a bleed bolt fits?). If brake fluid escapes this easily, air can surely get in even easier. Perhaps with the right setup, you can prevent air from getting into the system, but I prefer to keep the system under positive pressure at all times to completely eliminate the possibility.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 71dsp
Have you ever noticed that brake fluid weeps around the bleed bolt when you bleed brakes? It escapes through the space between the threads on the caliper and bleed bolt (ever notice how loosely a bleed bolt fits?). If brake fluid escapes this easily, air can surely get in even easier.
I've never seen that on mine. I turn the bleed screw 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn. The only way I regularly get air in my system is if the tube inside the mini-reservoir falls off without my noticing and consequently sucks in air when you let up the brake pedal instead of fluid.

I'll take a picture of my little setup & post later tonight. It's pretty chintzy looking, but for the cost, it works better than I expected it to.

Last edited by Daemione; 11-11-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
PreludeOnline Premium Member

Billy, any way that I can persuade you to build one for the Prelude as well? Though it'll have to be the bug sprayer type unless you can make it use a schrader valve . Never needed to get a real air compressor only something to pump up the tires at auto-x.

Unless there's other options in terms of the positive pressure kits.. I must just have to get a vacumm style kit or just start buying lunch for someone to come over to help me bleed my brakes.

On that note, does anyone know the ID of the tube that I should get to bleed the brake system offhand?

Last edited by TimeRacer; 11-12-2002 at 09:44 AM.
TimeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Prelude Forum > Honda Prelude Discussion > General Prelude Discussion