Honda Prelude Online banner

Lightweight Battery?

11K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  usmcmarc 
#1 ·
I have done some research and it seems to me that a lot of people go with the Odyssey PC680 or some model from Braille. A lot of people complain that their PC680 won't start their car in the cold due to a lack of CCA's.

My issue is I live in upstate, NY and it gets very cold here in the winter so I need a solid battery with good cold cranking amps. I am also not looking to have to trickle charge the battery or anything different than just dropping this battery in and going.

So basically I'm wondering what is a great lightweight battery (15-20lbs) that will be a perfect plug-n-play all year round for the prelude, in the weather I'll be in?

#3 ·
Braille battery, They make carbon fiber batteries that are very evry small and very light. Although, all of this comes at a price. The last braille battery have expereince with cost about 890 bucks, for an 8 lb, carbon fiber 7"x4"x6" 600 CCA battery.

In the end, you would be best with an optima, as it is lighter than the stocker by about 9 pounds ( well at least my red top is anyway).

#4 ·
You definitely can have your cake and eat it too. This has 426 CCA's and weigh's 15lbs. vs my OEM Honda 550 CCA. As that link stated you really only need half of what the battery states it's CCA as.

BRAILLE B2015 12V NO WEIGHT STANDARD BATTERY 426CCA | eBay

Optima red tops have WAY more cold cranking amps (CCA) than a Honda OEM battery. 800 for the Optima Red Top vs. Honda's 550

anywho thanks for that link.

#12 ·
Uhmm.... the last time calgary recorded a minus fifty was in february 1893 when the COLDEST EVER tempurature recorded in calgary was minus 49.4 c.

You see i live in edmonton and work in the oil patch and the only time i have seen minus fifty or colder was when working far up north.

FYI edmonton in 2009 dec 15 recorded the world third coldest standing tempurature at -43.4C, with wind chill it was minus 58.4 c. The only time edm has gotten colder was in 1972 when it hit minus 48.3 with windchill of jsut colder than -61c.

Anyway, regardless of the weather, you will need a battery that has minimum 600 CCA( for anything colder than minus 20c, and it is preferred to have a 800 cca. My redtop optima weighs 39 pounds, with 800 CCA and also on the first five seconds of ignition it send extra energy to help ensure quick starts.

#14 ·
Yes the odessey and the energizers that were commonly found in preludes only have 550 and 600 respectivly.

I know from a life of living in northern cananda that when minus 30 or minus forty hit, you want as many cold crankign amps as possible. I have been through many batteries that after a couple winters just fail, that is one reason why i went with the gel filled optima, as other batteries that require demineralized water to be put in will **** the bed far faster in the cold than a gel coil battery.

#16 ·
bouckarooo: lol guess edmonton had it good the week where we had 5 days straight of -45C + windchill = -51C. It was just this winter too. The rest of winter was pretty mild and decent but those 5 days were brutal! That's what caused my car to freeze over and not start at all (the battery did but the engine was frozen). It took 3 days after the final freezing day for my car to thaw. Which then gave me the infamous "bouncing idle" problem ever since. Turns out to be the FITV so I blocked that off and now I get normal idle 80%. lol until I drive the car till it's warm and throw it in park and 50% of the time that triggers a bouncing idle >.<

anyway back on topic: that loooks like a good battery to go for! I will research on more reviews before paying for it =]

#17 ·
If you require cold starts blockign off the FITV is not a good idea. Perhaps, maybe yours was damaged and you need a new one. Removing that makes it very hard for you engine to mainain idle when temps go down as it is a thermal activated control device that allows more fuel inmto the engie to bring it to tempurature quicker so that it can run as efficiently as possible.

If i was you i would be replacing the part rther than removing it.

I know when switched my throttle body i was conerned about not havignt a FITV, just becuase i do live in edmonton and in late october the cars just awesoem in the colder temps. Anyway, i maded sure to seek out a throttle body that incorporated an internal FITV.

As for the battery, thats a great price, especially shipped, im Curious as to how it works out.

#25 · (Edited)
Let me ask you something, what do you think you gained by this?

You obviously don't need it considering it's an automatic daily driver and the battery only has a 1 year fixed warranty vs the Honda 100 month. Granted it's pro rated after a point but the first few years are free replacement, I don't think anyone can beat their warranty. Considering too that you own a car that is over 1.5 tons in weight, a couple of pounds is nothing.

The only people who should be buying something like this is someone using the car for off road purposes.

Even if I myself were to take the time to relocate my battery I would still use the big ol Honda one I have since the weight savings isn't worth the money, since you'll probably buy 3 braille batteries to every 1 OEM if not more.

Or you could spend money on a charger so that you could match the life expectancy of the Honda battery you discarded but you'll still be losing money.

#26 ·
This car is just a fun project for me. Any money I put into this car is money I can afford to experiment with. I don't really think I gained anything per say, I'm not driving around like a badass or like I gained 75hp now if that's what you mean.

Shedding weight is shedding weight. You have to start somewhere and I still have my stock battery if anything goes wrong.

#28 ·
I don't see what's wrong with him spending money on the project of his. If he has the money to burn, then he has the money to burn. Any mod on any car is pretty much a "waste". Putting thousand of dollars into a prelude just to keep up with a skyline will probably cost you 4 skylines (I'm just saying). I think it's more about the appreciation of the car and the pride of having a prelude. Even if he goes to the extreme of a full bodykit, lambo doors, fake blow-off valves, neon underglow kit, strobe headlights, full sound system and A.I. computer that talks to you and adjust every feature of the car via voice... I'd still support him.

I may not like the car at all... or even think it's ugly, but none the less I don't think it's "wrong". I just wouldn't want him to park next to me lol.

In the end... it is his car. Shedding weight is good regardless of what tranny, or engine you got.

#29 ·
Braille batteries are a ripoff - buy straight from the source, Deka, and get them for a third of the price. I've been using them on my last 3 cars as daily drivers. The ETX14 was great during the summer on my Prelude & Fit, but would occasionally need a jump on the coldest days, so I swapped up to the ETX16. Got an ETX18L running my ZX, it's been flawless so far, and should be even better in the winter - even on the bigger engine.

#32 · (Edited)
So you bought this? ETX16 Sealed AGM Deka Battery Harley Buell Motorcycle Arctic Cat Snowmobile USA | eBay

Seems like a good deal, half the price. I see you're from Massachusetts so I'm a little surprised that the Deka battery starts your car in the winter with only 325cca.

I guess I'll be good to go with the Braille's 426cca. I couldn't find a Deka battery that could match the Braille's cold cranking amperage with it's lightweight design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.